Sunday, July 29, 2012

Eating downtown: Healthy, Munchies, and Fattening


Hey girlies! So if you are anything like me (aka an awesome person) you love to eat good food, and let’s be honest,  good food is always worth the calories! Below I have broken down into three categories my favorite places to eat: healthy eats, late night munchies, flat out fatties (this one is obviously my favorite category). Bon A ’petit!

Healthy Eats:
Fiddlehead (134 West College Avenue)- So Fiddlehead is a fairly new restaurant at PSU that serves AMAZING soups and salads!  They purchase a ton of local ingredients so everything is extremely fresh. My personal favorite is the ri-pear-ian salad which consists of pear, dried cranberries, candied walnuts and a ton of baby spinach. It’s an explosion of flavor and it’s a salad so you can still feel great afterwards! Fiddlehead is definitely a great spot, and I recommend it to anyone looking for fun and healthy food.

Irving’s (110 East College Avenue) - If you are a bagel lover (who isn’t?!) than this will be heaven for you. This place uses organic ingredients to make homemade breads and bagels everyday (did you get that? HOMEMADE) and on top of that they have the best smoothies! A great way to kick start your morning (especially after pulling an all-nighter) is to grab a strawberry-banana smoothie and an everything bagel (or whatever flavors are your favorites!).
 
Late Night Munchies:
Gumby’s (300 South Pugh Street) - I’m not proud of this but I truly believe I would give up my first born for pokey sticks, which are a staple at Gumby’s. They are the most incredible pieces of dough covered with melted cheesy goodness, and I may have to stop writing this because it’s making me hungry (*grabbing a sandwich now). Other than pokey sticks Gumby’s has a variety of different pizzas and wings all of which are incredible! The best part about Gumby’s is that it’s almost always open (I’ve called way too many times late at night to know this).

Grillers (252 E. Beaver Avenue) - Have you ever had a grilled cheese that has garlic butter on the bread? It’s probably one of the most ingenious combinations known to the world of grilled cheese. My first grilled cheese at grillers shattered all standards I had for the sandwich (seriously it’s that good). Besides the amazing grilled cheeses, Grillers also has incredible food creations such as fried cheese balls (:D OMG), jalapeño poppers, wings and tons more!

Flat out Fatties (I am way too excited for this section):
Are U Hungry (111 Sowers Street)- I realized quickly that this place would be a favorite based on the fact that most of their sandwiches begin with the word fat, for example my favorite a Fat Ranch. A Fat Ranch includes two chicken fingers and two mozzarella sticks on a roll covered with ranch. It sounds absurd and is probably the reason I will develop heart disease later in life (fingers crossed) but it’s absolutely amazing. Are U Hungry has insane combinations of foods and truly it has to be seen to be believed.

The College Diner (126 West College Avenue) – This is a classic Penn State restaurant and has been around forever! The most famous item on the menu is of course the grilled sticky, which is a sticky bun made by angels then grilled to gooey perfection. The diner is open 24 hours a day (believe me it’s a struggle to stay away) so whenever you want a grilled sticky you can hop your way over there. They also have a full menu of good food including amazing omelets, and great sandwiches! This is a must before your freshmen year is over, so grab all your friends (and bring me!) and head over!

While you are enjoying all this wonderful food just think YOLO and you can always work out tomorrow (or in my case just eat more food!). Have a great summer and can’t wait to see you at WEPO!



Jess is a senior in Mechanical Engineering. This summer she is working for Boeing in Philadelphia. Jess is a mentor for WEPO 2012.





No comments:

Post a Comment