Monday, August 15, 2016

What I Learned in Engineering School is...

Four years ago, I had my whole life figured out. I was living my dream of getting out of my little hometown to study architectural engineering at a University with so much pride. I set high goals for myself, and nothing would stop me from meeting them. I knew my grades were important and that studying hard would get me where I wanted to be. My definition of success was making dean’s list and beating the average on an exam. Four years later, and I can solve physics problems, use a psychrometric chart, and size ducts for buildings. Four years later, and the most important lessons I have learned in engineering school were never taught in a classroom.

Your parents are your biggest supporters.
Engineering school is hard. Going through it alone is even harder. Sometimes you need a boost of confidence, and let me tell you, no one believes in you more than your parents do. If you ever need a pick-me-up when something bad happens or someone to listen to you rave about the great grade you got or award you won, pick up your phone and call home. FaceTime and Skype are also great options (and a great way to say hello to your dog). I got into a habit of calling my mom whenever I was walking home from class or studying at the end of the day. The 10-15 minute walk back to your dorm at the end of the day is the perfect time to share stories from the day and ask about home. I also suggest planning a weekend for your parents to come up and visit!

It’s your choice to be happy.
A wise friend once gave me this little nugget. It’s also my choice to be sad and grumpy. Yes, it’s okay to be sad sometimes and angry and disgusted, (I mean, this is what we all learned from Inside Out, right?) but remember this during those times when you’re choosing to be upset. Think studying for a big exam: You can be angry you’re cooped up inside studying for a class you don’t even like, or you can make it more bearable and study with a group of your friends, play some music, and take hourly study breaks to stretch out or do yoga! Choose happiness.

It really is about who you know.
Your network has never been so important, and I don’t just mean a professional network. I mean your network with your peers, professors, and employers. All of the leadership positions I have held and the jobs I have gotten have been because of the people I had met and the impression that I made. A lot of these references came from my WEPO mentors too! Even as a first year, talk to the officers of the organization you choose to be involved with. I promise, they won’t bite, and you’ll leave the conversation with them knowing who you are. Talk to upperclassmen about their classes and why they love their major. Talk to people that have worked for the company you have been dreaming of interning with. Visit your professors office hours often and ask a questions. With the right network, you’ll always have someone to help you with a letter of recommendation, to put a word in with an employer, or just be a familiar name when you apply for leadership in a club. Things as simple as attending the career fair as a first year student allows you to build your professional network. Fun fact: I got my first internship at the career fair my second year because they remembered me from when I talked to them my first year! Networking matters, it really can be all about who you know.

Ask questions.
Ask questions and ask a lot of them, and I don’t just mean in class. The more questions you ask, the more you will gain. Asking relevant questions to your professors will help you better understand engineering principles. Asking why something happens will help you to understand beyond what you would get just reading a textbook. Ask for food recommendations or things to do off campus. Ask your friends questions about themselves and what their passions are. Those silly questions that pop into your head when you’re studying? Ask them.

Don’t just step out of your comfort zone, take a leap.
When I went to college, I had a plan set out for everything I wanted to do. I had to have a plan for all of the classes I was going to take my fifth year… as a first year. I knew what clubs I wanted to be a part of, where I wanted to work, and where I wanted to study abroad. I lived in a bubble that is my comfort zone, and I was completely content with that. Let me tell you the secret that I wish I learned before my third year: Nothing great happens inside your comfort zone. Test the water, try something that scares you just a little bit. When you’re ready, take a leap. Do something you never thought you would do. Give a speech to an auditorium full of people. Travel abroad to a non-traditional country. Become a leader in an organization, and change it for the better. By far the biggest leap I had to take was choosing to study abroad in China. I knew that would be a huge culture shock, especially because I had never even left the country before. This trip forced me to constantly be stepping outside of my comfort zone when trying new foods, trying to communicate with people who didn’t speak my language, and exploring new cities I had only seen in pictures. Nevertheless, every step was worth it, and I came out of the experience learning more about myself than I could have imagined. Sometimes there are risks worth taking. Listen to your gut, it always knows best.

Remember what’s most important.
When I reflect on the past four years I’ve spent at school, I don’t remember the times I locked myself in my room to study. I remember the times I spent with my friends having movie nights, sitting at Cafe after a long day of exams, and on football Saturdays. I remember the times I took a week off from school to go to a conference in cities all across the United States. I remember the times I spent with my friends half way across the world during my time in China. There are even some memories in there from late night group study sessions and projects because we chose to be happy, put on some fun music, and made studying that much more fun. You are in college to get a degree first and foremost, but you are also here to learn about yourself and your passions. Find a balance that works for you with your academics and social life, remember that everyone has a different balance, and you do you. Keep in mind that when it’s your turn to graduate, you’ll get a very expensive piece of paper that says you worked hard and studied. Your GPA will never be on that paper, and it won’t be on the person’s with a higher GPA than you nor the person with a lower GPA than you. You will also graduate with four or five years worth of memories and life-long friendships.

Lauren Boyle is a 5th year majoring in Architectural Engineering and is the Success Strategies Lead for WEPO'16!

No comments:

Post a Comment