Monday, August 10, 2015

A fifth year’s advice to incoming students

It seems like just yesterday that I was hugging my family and high school friends goodbye, and driving to State College to attend WEPO.  I was so excited for all of the new, and I was overwhelmed with all of the new at the same time.  WEPO helped me start off on the right foot, and it will help you, too.  You are starting your college career off right!

I’m so excited to go back very soon for WEPO number 5, so I thought I’d share some of what I’ve learned.  These lessons have come from me doing almost none of these things right at some point.  I hope they help you avoid making some of the same mistakes I did, and I really hope that you make the most of your time here at Penn State. 
  
“I don’t have time” = it’s not a priority
In high school, much of your life is scheduled for you.  Between school, swim practice, and homework, I didn’t have time for much else during the week when I was in high school, and I’m sure many of you feel the same way.  While you’re in college, you get to decide how you spend 100% of your time, including your class schedule.  This can be a blessing or a curse, depending on how well you manage your time.  After not doing this well for some time, I’ve learned that time management is all about priorities.  If something is a high priority for you, you will make time for it.  At this transition point in your life, take the time to really think about what is important to you (and I mean only YOU).  See if how you’re spending your time lines up with those priorities and your goals.  If you spend 3 hours a day watching Netflix and 2 hours studying, it would seem that Netflix is higher on your priority list than getting good grades.  Ensure that how you actually spend your precious time lines up with your priorities.

Raise your hand
I don’t necessarily mean in class to ask a question (though if you do have a question in class, definitely do this).  I mean raise your hand to volunteer for new opportunities.  SAY YES to opportunities that come your way; you never know what could become of them.  For example, when one of the officers of the new club you joined is looking for help on a project, or for members for a committee, raise your hand!  When your math professor asks if you will be her grader next semester, SAY YES!  Say yes even if it is something small, even if it something you don’t know how to do yet – you’ll learn.  Which brings me to my next point…

Gain leadership opportunities
Your willingness to help with even the small things is key if you aspire to do big things later on.  You’ll gain the respect and trust of the people you helped.  So, when there’s a bigger project, they will ask you to be a part of it.  When you apply for a leadership position in the organization, they’ll vouch for your character.  When you need a recommendation letter, they’ll write one for you.  Leadership roles help you develop valuable skills and learn a lot about yourself.  And though this seems like it’s far into the future (it’s not), corporate recruiters will want to hear about your leadership roles and how you made the most of developing those skills during school.

Do something that terrifies you
What doesn’t challenge you won’t change you, so take some risks!  Do something scary, and I promise you will learn something.  I was absolutely terrified to leave everyone I loved here in the USA and move to a country in which I knew no one and nothing.  Those 6 months truly changed my life, and I could have missed out on that incredible experience if I gave in to my fears.  You don’t have to leave the country, or even State College, to challenge yourself!  Do some public speaking, sign up for an Adventure Recreation trip to go rock climbing, or introduce yourself to someone you normally wouldn’t.  What would you do if you weren’t afraid? 

Ask for help
To me, there is nothing worse than wasting hours of time just because you didn’t ask for help.  I’m not going to tell you that there are no dumb questions.  If the answer to your question is the first result on Google, don’t ask a live human that question.  If you’ve tried everything you can think of and/or have spent 20 minutes looking and still have no idea, it’s time to ask someone.  Don’t waste your precious time worrying about something, or sitting around trying to figure it out for hours.  There are so many people at Penn State whose full time job is to help you.  If you have no idea who to ask, start with your WEPO mentor!  If she doesn’t know the answer, she can point you in the direction of someone who does.  Bonus: Almost three years ago I was struggling with a Math 250 homework assignment, so I asked the guy I sat next to in class for help.  He became my study buddy, and a few months later we started dating.  We’ve been together ever since!

Leverage your support system
There are going to be tough days, and when you can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel on your own, let others help you find it again.  There are so many people who love you and want you to succeed; let them support you!  The entire WEPO leadership team is here for you, and truly wants to get to know you and see you thrive.  Stay connected to your mentors and rover, and develop new relationships with other upperclassmen.  I promise you this will be hugely influential – it was for me!  It’s also important to lean on your friends, new and old.  Most importantly, call mom and dad.  They are so proud of you, and would love to hear all about what’s going on with you.  I love to call my parents on walks to and from class, or anywhere else I’m going. 

Have fun
At the end of the day, your happiness is the most important thing.  Make time for yourself to do the things you enjoy.  Go out and have fun on a Friday night, go to that yoga class, have a Skype date with your best friend from home, watch a movie and paint your nails, or anything else that would make you happy.  And do it for YOU!

I'm so excited for all of you to start your Penn State journey.  Come say hi to me at WEPO!

Ellen Fagan is a senior majoring in Industrial Engineering and Spanish, and is the Overall Lead for WEPO'15!

No comments:

Post a Comment