Friday, August 12, 2016

Managing Your Time

            If someone asked me what my one piece of advice for being successful in college would be, I would say it is to manage your time well. In college there are so many things going on, and it is your first time being completely independent. That means you’re in control of what you do and when you do it. There is class, homework, clubs, working out, and having fun! It is totally possible to do it all, you just have to make sure you are managing your time well.
            What I have found to be very helpful for managing time is my planner. I LOVE my planner. It’s a cute Lilly planner that I have been inseparable with since I got it. I know it sounds a little lame, but I write everything down that I need to do, and it helps me keep track of it all. It is really important to prioritize your activities, and school should always come first. So I usually start by writing in class times and writing down all of my assignments on a to-do list. Writing down office hours is also a great thing to do if you need to get help in a class. Then, I write down any meetings that I have to go to for that day. Part of the college experience is getting involved; so you should definitely sign up for some clubs. Personally, I recommend getting involved with THON and WEP.
            After I write what I need to do for the day, I plan out how I should spend the time in between. Finding good study spots in between classes is really helpful so you can get some work done. Having a list of all the assignments you need to do is good so that you can plan exactly what to work on during the shorter breaks. It’s always best to block out a lot of study time because there is a lot of work. It seems intimidating, but it’s manageable.

            One of the most important things to remember is to block out personal time and time with friends! School can get very stressful, so sometimes you need to just unwind. Working out is a great stress reliever and can help get you more focused later. Penn State has really great fitness classes that I highly recommend (Power Remix is so fun!). It is also really important to spend time with your friends. College should be the most fun years of your life, so make sure you meet some great people and spend a lot of time with them. The best situation is when your friends are also your study partners! Just remember that when school is done, you are going to take away all of the fun memories you have, not all of the studying you do. It is totally possible to do well in school and have a lot of fun, so make sure you manage your time well to make Penn State the best experience it can be! 

Amanda Green is a junior majoring in Architectural Engineering and is a Mentor for WEPO'16!

No comments:

Post a Comment