Monday, July 2, 2018

Residence Hall Meals/Snacks Tips & Tricks


Hi and welcome to the Penn State family! Finding snacks to keep in your room is a simple way to make college life much easier for yourself. There are many times when I couldn’t get to other sources of food, for instance, if dining halls were closed, I needed to get to my 8 am quickly, I wasn’t feeling well, or my bed was just way too comfortable to make the 3-minute walk over to Findlay Commons. Here’s a list of snacks or light meals to keep in your room as you start living on campus!


Granola Bars

First, substance. Eating a Special K cereal bar may satisfy your sweet tooth but may just end up enticing your appetite for a full meal. Try bringing something more substantial, like Clif Bars or granola bars with high protein. Also, bring multiple kinds! I made the mistake of bringing a huge box from Costco, and I can’t even look at that type of granola bar anymore without feeling a little sick.

Popcorn

Ask any of my friends from my floor what my favorite snack is and they’ll immediately say microwave popcorn. They’ll mainly remember because it made our entire floor smell like movie theatre butter, but what’s not to like? I found that popcorn was a great late-night snack because it’s not too unhealthy for you, and though it’s light, a bag of popcorn can fill you up while studying. It’s also great to share with friends!


Bananas

Occasionally, I would buy a bunch of bananas at the market in the commons and they would be a great snack before morning classes or to put in my backpack for later in the day. There are even free bananas in the buffet areas of dining halls – make sure to grab one on your way out! Bananas are a great source of nutrition and fruit is a vital part of your diet that may be lacking when you start eating at dining halls. Just make sure to eat them quickly, fruit doesn’t hold up too long in dorm rooms.


Trail Mix
This was always something my family and I would pack when we went hiking, and when you’re hiking from Thomas to Hammond, trail mix will be your friend too! Bring along a couple plastic sandwich bags and you’ll be all set to go. With several kinds of nuts, your hunger will be satisfied, and the M&Ms will satisfy your sweet tooth!


Ice Cream
Though we’re all trying to eat healthy, sometimes you just need a comfort food. For me, that was ice cream. If you’re coming home from a really difficult exam or just feel stressed out, it’s okay to treat yourself to some ice cream in your freezer or another treat you enjoy. Once your stomach is happy, you’ll be ready to get back out there and conquer the world!

By:  Kaitlyn Pigeon (Envoy Team A)

No comments:

Post a Comment