Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Taking a Summer Class

Whew! Three months ago, I just got through my first year at Penn State. It definitely was not easy. My brain was maxed out, fried, and hurting, but summer was starting and I knew I’d get a much needed break. At least that’s what I thought until I remembered I enrolled in a summer class.

Previously in the semester, I looked up the classes I would need to take next year. The list was packed with heavy courses. To lighten my load, I decided to see if I could take one over the summer. I used the transferring credits submenu on elion, and it allowed me to find an equivalent course to Penn State at a campus near me. First, I searched for the class at community colleges. They’re cheaper and easier, but sadly, they didn’t offer any classes I needed. Next, I checked the Penn State branch campuses around me. Luckily Greater Allegheny had the physics class I needed! I talked it over with my parents and I think they were impressed that I made the decision to give up my summer for studying.

$2000 later (yay.), I met with seven other students for four hours on Monday (there was a lab, ugh!) and two hours on Tuesday, and Thursday for nine weeks. The awful part was that there was always something due which meant it sucked up all of my time. Physics was not easy, but our professor was very nice and really tried to help us learn.

I still have one week left, but I’m really glad I took the course. Yes, it got stressful. Yes, it was kind of expensive. Yes, it was hard. Yes, I gave up my summer job. BUT it’s over! And because I took the class I now get to take two electives next semester! I predict a B+/A-  so not bad! I really recommend doing it. I know next semester would’ve been awful if I didn’t take it.

 Steps to taking a summer class:
§  Look up what class you need
§  Use elion to find the equivalent course at another campus
§  Choose community colleges first
§  Talk to your parents and realize it takes up a lot of time! (meaning no summer job)
§  Enroll in the class
§  Study!
Amy Federoff is a sophomore majoring in Chemical Engineering. She is a Rover for WEPO 2011, and is also involved in the American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Fresh START, SWE and the Navigators. Contact her at alf5314@psu.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment