Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sign up for EON (Engineering Orientation Network)

Hi ladies!

My name is Ellen Fagan, and I’ll be a junior in Industrial Engineering in the fall.  I am so excited to be a Mentor for WEPO’13!

First of all, I would like to congratulate all of you on your acceptance to Penn State.  You are all brilliant!  I know you’re probably overwhelmed with signing up for all of these orientations, but I’m going to add another “don’t miss” to your list – EON!

EON (or the Engineering Orientation Network) is an orientation for ALL freshmen engineering students (the guys, too).  This is a one-day orientation (morning and afternoon) on the Sunday before you start classes.

I have been involved with EON for three years, as a participant, a Mentor, and now a Head Mentor.  EON is a great program, and it gets better every year.   

Here’s just a few reasons why you should go to EON, too!

  1. You’ll get another Mentor.  I’m sure some of you may be wondering why you would ever need two mentors, but you can never have enough people looking out for you.  Your mentor is an older student who has been in your shoes, and he or she truly wants you to succeed.  Your EON Mentor will have a different life experience than your WEPO Mentor (different major, hometown, clubs/activities, interests, etc.) and will be able to be a different resource for you.  I absolutely loved my WEPO Mentors, and I am still good friends with them, but they were Mechanical Engineering majors.  When I had a question about Industrial Engineering, I texted my EON Mentor because she was Industrial, too.
  2. You’ll make friends.  Penn State is a big place, and the more friends you make, the more comfortable and “at home” you will feel, especially during your first few weeks.  EON gives you the opportunity to meet not only your group, but there is also an icebreaker session where you could potentially meet anyone at the orientation.  Between EON and WEPO, you’ll practically know everyone in your Math 140 class on Monday.
  3. You’ll sharpen up your Penn State skills.  Things like learning the campus and the computer programs we use can be overwhelming.  You’ll be introduced to these things at WEPO, but once you get to EON and see them a second time, they’ll really start to stick.  Who knows? Maybe someone will ask YOU for directions on the first day of classes! 
  4. You’ll have fun! Meeting new friends, learning about the greatest university on earth, and not to mention the free lunch and corporate sponsor giveaways – What’s not to love?!



I’m making it easy for you to register! Click here:  http://www.engr.psu.edu/eon/registration.html

I know you will all LOVE Penn State, and I’m so excited to meet all of you! Enjoy the rest of your summer!


Ellen Fagen is a junior in Industrial Engineering and is a Mentor for WEPO'13!  To read more about Ellen visit her WEPO Profile: 
http://raindancer45.wix.com/ladyengineers#!ellen-fagan/c1r8

No comments:

Post a Comment