Thursday, June 27, 2013

Studying Abroad Adventures, Educational and Fun!

One of the greatest experiences of my college career has been studying abroad in Sevilla, Spain. Studying Spanish was something I knew I wanted to continue while at Penn State and revisiting Spain was high on my priority list. I decided to minor in Spanish and make studying abroad part of my plan. Penn State has endless possibilities when it comes to studying abroad. There are so many countries and programs to choose from and there are multiple fairs and information sessions so you can find the right fit for you. 

I decided to take classes for my minor while abroad, however, you are more than welcome to take engineering classes abroad as well. This choice usually is made depending on whether you want to learn in another language other than English and/or possibly stay at school an extra semester. I chose to study abroad for my Spanish minor so I took classes about the culture and history of Spain in Spanish and will be staying an extra at Penn State. I know not everyone is thrilled about having to pay for an extra semester, but to me the experience was priceless.

If you are not sure if studying abroad is for you, there are plenty of opportunities to get more information, but be prepared to start researching and applying a year before you want to go. Don't rush and really take your time when deciding if this is the right choice for you. I started planning Fall of my sophomore year, my application was due the spring semester, and I went Fall of my junior year. Although I had second thoughts about leaving all of my friends behind for three months, there is no better time to go abroad and travel than right now! 


While abroad, I was able to visit many other cities in southern Spain on weekend and day trips. I was also able to go to Gibraltar, Morocco, Portugal, England, and Scotland! Being abroad was the most challenging and exciting experience of my entire life and I am a changed person after going. Not only did I become fluent in Spanish while there but I now know I can conquer any challenge! 

Megan Barr is a super-senior in Industrial Engineering and the Spirit Lead for WEPO'13!  To read more about Megan visit her WEPO Profile: http://raindancer45.wix.com/ladyengineers#!megan-barr/c1vyr

No comments:

Post a Comment