Sunday, August 1, 2021

Miss WorldWide

 Studying Abroad

By: Lead Team

Imagine being able to be in an exotic location while earning your degree. You do not need to imagine, because YOU CAN! Studying abroad is a great way to be able to experience the world while also going to school.

Penn State has amazing study abroad advisors that work for the college of engineering to help engineering students go abroad. There are a couple different types of study abroad trips you can take. There are programs run by Penn State professors, and there are also opportunities at different universities around the world. The types of programs available are Maymesters, which run for a couple weeks after school ends, semester-long that run the length of a semester, some maymesters that run for a couple months after the school year is over. I went on a Penn State maymester trip to Peru for 6 weeks after my freshman year. This was the perfect length for me because I was still able to complete an internship after my trip.

-          Technology Lead, Erin Anderson

Where should you go to start planning a study abroad program?

Now hopefully if you are interested in studying abroad, you are excited to start searching for a program at Penn State. There are a lot of opportunities and resources available to you as a student. A good resource is the Global Engineering Engagement website (global.engr.psu.edu). This website will allow you to start reading about different programs for engineers, how to fund your trip, and how to set up a meeting with a Global Engineering Fellow. The programs on this site will work well with our engineering schedules and have some great options if you start looking early!

Another good website to check out is global.psu.edu which has all the study abroad programs and more resources for students. This is a good place to do some reading and preparation to supplement the engineering website. If you are interested in another major or minor outside of engineering, this is where you could explore those options and get ahead with those courses.

-          Professional Development Lead, Renee Sollenberger

How can studying abroad benefit you?

If you haven’t heard it yet, you probably will very soon: Penn State wants to help you become a “world-class engineer”! In our connected world, there is a high need for globally-minded engineers who can communicate with international coworkers and design for a range of human needs and experiences. Spending time in another culture is one way you can develop those skills.

More tangibly, studying abroad can also help you build your resume and get noticed at the career fair. Recruiters value the communication skills and global perspectives an international experience provides, regardless of program type. Engineering-specific programs can also help you learn skills useful in a particular industry. My study abroad program included coursework and site visits related to automotive engineering, and those experiences sparked an interest that led me to an internship this summer with Ford Motor Company.

Another benefit comes from the coursework you can earn abroad. Although the course selection and number of credits varies by program, offerings exist for anything from gen eds to world languages to engineering electives. Some programs may count toward a certificate, minor, or even a double major! My program, for example, counted toward an International Engineering certificate and helped me start my German minor.

Finally, studying abroad will benefit you on a personal level. Living in an unfamiliar culture, practicing my German skills, and traveling both in groups and independently forced me to repeatedly step outside of my comfort zone...and that’s how you grow! I returned having learned a lot, but also feeling like a more confident and capable person.

- Engineering Design Lead, Abbie Wagner ("Engineers Made in Germany,” summer 2019)

How to get the most out of your study abroad experience?

Choose a place that gets you out of your comfort zone! When choosing a study abroad, especially if you are looking to improve your language skills, choose an unconventional place. One of the main reasons I chose Peru was because I wanted to be immersed in a Spanish-speaking culture. I lived with a host family who only spoke Spanish and my skills improved tremendously. Going into the experience, I was worried I would be too rusty and it wouldn’t click. However, in the end, I felt immersed within the community and culture. I made local friends, became a regular at some local spots, and ultimately felt at home. No matter where you go, you will be okay and succeed!! Don’t be afraid to take a big leap and try something new.

Go on adventures! On a study abroad, and just like college, TIME FLIES. Take up every opportunity and prioritize becoming a well-rounded traveler. You will regret the things you don’t do, not the ones you do. When in Peru, we took an impromptu weekend trip south to Ica and Paracas. We had the opportunity to sandboard and buggy in a vast desert AND see Humboldt penguins in the Pacific ocean. This ended up being one of my absolute favorite memories and a highlight of my trip. The money aspect can sometimes seem intimidating, but it is worth it! You have once in a lifetime opportunities that you might not have the chance to embrace again. 

Journal and take a lot of pictures! Embrace each and every moment and capture it in some form. I loved to journal the little things and wins throughout the trip. I also look back to all the fun pictures I took and reminisce on my amazing experiences. After my trip, I put together a scrapbook that I saved bus tickets, wristbands, coins, etc to include. It is now one of my most cherished possessions. When you graduate and adjust into the real world, you aren’t going to remember the homework you did, but all the fun experiences you had!

 


-Success Strategies Lead, Juliana Redisi

No comments:

Post a Comment