Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Mother Know's Best



One thing I recall about starting freshman year was how my mother could not stop inserting herself into the packing for college.  Each day, it felt like she was bringing me something that she was “absolutely sure I needed.”  I guess some of this was to be expected—I’m an only child and this was a big deal for both my parents.  (For the record, don’t lose sight of the fact that Mom and Dad have some adjusting to do as well.)  My mom’s trips to Costco were particularly distressing as her packing started to resemble doomsday prep, more than college prep.  She’d already insisted on the biggest meal plan (I did not use it all, but PSU is great about letting you reduce it in spring semester), and I worried that my roommate might be alarmed by my store of beef jerky and paper goods.  In the end, my mom backed down and I managed to get to PSU without a tractor trailer.  I guess she just had to work though this phase; you know how parents are.

One thing she did manage to get me to bring was a little gift from her-- season 1 of Grey’s Anatomy on DVD,  although I really didn’t see why she purchased this—I’d never watched a single episode of the show or shown any interest those hospital-based dramas whatsoever.  Why would my mom think that was a good gift for me?  Further, when was I supposed to watch an entire season of anything when I would be so busy making new friends, joining every club on campus,  attending football games, and squeezing in some school work now and then?   It was after I was at school for a couple weeks, when I’d lucked into finding rock-solid compadres who made even the rough parts fun and bearable, when I realized that 3 clubs was a more manageable approach and when I figured out that I needed to hit the books hard, that I learned the value of the DVD gift. 

You all will learn quickly that there will be a night where you just cannot differentiate another equation, and you don’t feel like joining your friends for whatever insanity they are chasing.  You need some veg time.  For me, that’s when the doctors of Seattle Grace stepped in.  I’m sure you’ve heard time and again, that college is a balance between studying and fun with your friends, but added to that should be a little “me time” every once in a while too.  It is time when you slap on some headphones and send your psyche to a state that isn’t State College.  Mom nailed it on this one; I did absolutely need those DVD’s and I was so happy that McDreamy was always on-call.  Some days the DVD’s were my reward for slogging through another hour of work, and other days they were a personal “escape key” when I needed some space.  Figure out what might provide that relief for you and make sure you bring it to PSU.  It needn't be television.  I have one friend who likes to knit, and having extra scarves and hats for winter in Happy Valley is not a bad strategy.   My roommate has become a master at Angry Birds, and while the birds took a serious blasting all year, I never saw her angry at anything or anyone else. 
You’ve clearly chosen a rigorous program of study.  Every engineer knows that pressures can build and having an appropriate relief valve is always prudent.  For me, I plan to spend my junior year in Downton Abbey.  I wonder if this counts as a semester abroad?

Kathleen Lauser is a junior studying Chemical Engineering and a mentor for WEPO’13.

No comments:

Post a Comment