Monday, July 7, 2014

Don’t Be Afraid of an Internship


Pretty much the second you get to Penn State, you’ll start hearing about internships.  You’ll be taught how to land your first internship, you’ll learn how to nail an interview, you’ll make a resume, and you’ll hear all about the internship experiences of upperclassmen.  All of this information is really useful for anyone who is interested in doing an internship, but if you’re anything like I was as a freshman, you’re absolutely terrified at the idea of interning.  The best advice I can give you is to try for an internship anyway.

As a freshman, I thought there was no way I’d ever get an internship.  But did I really want one, anyway?  Internships seem scary…first internships seem terrifying.  I remember thinking: What if I have to move? What if I can’t handle the workload? What if I don’t make friends?  WHAT IF NO ONE LIKES ME?  These thoughts almost made me give up before I started looking.  Seriously, though, don’t listen to these thoughts. They aren’t worth your time. 

What if I have to move?
Wiener dog race in downtown Cincinnati

Moving is sometimes a little scary, but always an adventure.  I’ve had so much fun moving to different cities for internships.  Because they last a few months, you have a chance to see all the best parts of a city.  Even living in the middle of nowhere, Ohio this summer I’ve had so much fun visiting Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Cedar Point, the best amusement park in the country.  I’ve been to baseball games, ridden a jet ski, gone to concerts, and had countless other experiences that wouldn’t have been possible if I had stayed at home all summer.  Moving to another city also helps you prove to yourself that you can be totally independent and live on your own.  It’s great practice for your post-grad life.  

Ashland Balloon Fest
What if I can’t handle the workload?

This was probably my worst fear when going into an internship.  I can honestly tell you that you shouldn’t be afraid that you won’t be able to do the job that’s asked of you.  Your boss will know your status when they hire you, and they will always teach you what to do and how to do it.  They will understand that you are an intern and not a full-time employee, and that internships are learning experiences.  Paying attention to what people are teaching you and truly wanting to learn the job are the only things you need.


What if I can’t make friends?  WHAT IF NO ONE LIKES ME?  

Another thing that I’ve learned about interning is that YOU WILL MAKE FRIENDS.  I was so scared that I’d be lonely in a new city, but making friends was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  As long as you’re outgoing, I guarantee that you’ll meet people and make a ton of great friends.  It’s also really wonderful to have friends in a bunch of different cities.  You can visit whenever you’re nearby, and it’s fun to hear from each other when you’re back at school.


Internships can seem scary, but it’s important to remember that there’s really nothing to be afraid of.  Internships allow you to test drive a company and a new city, and they can help you to understand what life will be like after college.  They provide tons of great experience and interesting stories (not to mention some wonderful memories) that will help you land a job!  Even if you’re scared, go to the career fair and try to get an internship.  I promise you’ll be glad you did.

Katie Wolfe is a senior in Industrial Engineering, and she is a Mentor for WEPO '14!

No comments:

Post a Comment