Tuesday, July 22, 2014

How to Study Abroad!

Hey ladies! 

I am so excited that you have decided to come to WEPO!  That’s the second best choice you’ve made already in your college career (the first was choosing Penn State)!  I hope you’re thrilled about both!!  My name is Ellen Fagan and I’m a senior in Industrial Engineering, and also Spanish Language.  I just got home (last week!) from the experience of a lifetime - my semester abroad in Valparaiso, Chile.

When I started college, I wasn’t sure that engineering was for me.  I choose it because my AP Physics teacher suggested I give it a try, and I did love that class.  I also knew that it was a very practical major, and I was not hoping to become another college graduate without a job who moves back in with her parents (not that I don’t love them - I actually call them almost every day!).  What I did know starting college was that I loved Spanish, and I decided that I wanted to continue studying it.  So, at orientation I enrolled in a Spanish class, originally thinking that I would minor in it.  After talking to an engineering advisor during the school year, I learned that since I also wanted to study abroad, a double major wasn’t too much extra because I could do the Applied Spanish option (Bachelor of Science in Applied Spanish).  Enough with the logistics, on to the study abroad experience!   

Valparaiso
You might be wondering why I chose a small city in South America rather than a popular location in Spain.  My reason was simple: I wanted the best opportunity to practice speaking Spanish.  Many people in Spain speak English, especially in the large cities.  In Valparaiso, fewer people speak English.  My program (CIEE Valparaiso, Liberal Arts) was a good choice for me because it allowed me to take the Spanish classes that would count towards my Spanish major at Penn State.   It also allowed me to take classes with the Chilean students at the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso, which was my host university.  With other international students, I took Spanish Grammar, Communication and Culture, and Hispanic Short Stories.  My direct enrollment class (with Chilean Students) was Pinhole Photography – counting for art credits!  Valparaíso is a beautiful city – super colorful and full of culture.  It was also only about an 8 minute bus or metro ride away from where I stayed during my semester:  its sister-city Viña del Mar. 

Viña del Mar
Viña del Mar, a beach town, is a popular vacation spot for people from Santiago (the country’s capital city).  It is also home to my host family!  Living with my host family was probably the best part of my experience.  Not only did my Spanish have to improve as a result of the immersion, I had people who truly cared about me.  My host mom liked to gossip with me about everything while she taught me how to make Chilean food, and my host brothers taught me more about fútbol (soccer) and Chilean slang than I ever thought possible.

My host mom blowing out the candle on her birthday cake and my 8 year-old host brother, Piero
Because of this experience, I had the opportunity to meet wonderful friends (both Chilean and from all over the world) and I also got to travel to some pretty awesome places. 
Machu Picchu, the ancient, lost Inca city in Peru
Iguazu Falls, one of the 7 new wonders of nature, located in Argentina
Puerto Madero in Buenos Aires, Argentina
Valle de la Muerte (Valley of Death) in San Pedro de Atacama - the world's driest desert
Islas Flotantes (Floating Islands) near Puno, Peru. The inhabitants of the islands build them themselves out of reed and other plant material! 
Friends and I at the Lollapalooza music festival in Santiago, Chile
With a llama friend I met in Bolivia
Why you should go abroad:
Experience another culture:  It was super interesting for me to learn about Chilean culture, and it definitely taught me to be more adaptable and accepting of new situations.

Improve your language skills:  My Spanish has improved SO MUCH as a result of my semester in Chile, and I firmly believe that type of improvement can only come from immersion in the language.  (I had been studying Spanish for 8 years before I went abroad!)  Even if you study abroad in an English-speaking country, you will still learn a lot of slang from that country, at least!

Meet new friends:  I have made what I’m sure are life-long friendships with some of the other American students from my program, as well as some Chilean friends.  Through my host university, I was able to meet other international students from all over the world!

Travel:  I have been able to see some incredible places because of my study abroad experience.  See the pictures on this blog for just a few examples!!

How you can make a year, semester, or summer abroad happen:
Talk to your advisor:  Start talking to your academic advisors THIS YEAR if studying abroad is something that you want to do, even if you don’t know exactly where or when you want to go.  If you decide you want to go abroad Junior year when you’re a Freshmen, it’s easy to plan.  If you decide you want to go abroad Junior year when you’re a Junior, you’re going to regret not being able to study abroad during college - you have to apply almost a year in advance!

Find the right program for you:  The Penn State Global Programs Office is a wealth of knowledge.  You can choose a program almost anywhere in the world!

Plan financially:  Penn State students pay Penn State tuition to study abroad (in-state, even for out-of-state students).  There are also certain fees that go along with study abroad in general (like, worldwide health insurance) and ones that depend on the program, depending mostly on your living situation (ex. homestay, dorm, apartment, etc.).  The good news is that any financial aid and/or scholarships you have go with you when you study abroad.  Also, there are plenty of other scholarships you can apply for.  Even the College of Engineering has funds to help students go abroad!

Ellen, after all your good advice I still don’t think I want to go abroad for that long:
Okaayyy, there are shorter opportunities to go abroad, too!  Again, the Global Programs office and also the College of Engineering website are both great resources to check out.

Get involved:  Organizations like Engineers without Borders (EWB) and Bridges to Prosperity (B2P) work on projects here at Penn State, and then travel to implement them in needy communities in other countries.  Our Lead Mentor, Jen, just got back from working on a bridge in Panama with B2P.  Ask her about it!

Major-specific opportunities:  Architectural Engineering students can participate in a summer abroad program in Rome.  BioMedical Engineering students can choose to take the classes that allow them to participate in Humanitarian Engineering and Social Entrepreneurship (HESE), while earning a certificate.  These are just two examples; many other majors have their own opportunities.  Check out Lead Rover Kaylyn’s experience in Kenya with HESE here.

Embedded Programs:  Penn State offers classes that include short (1-2 week) programs for credit.  Check out the College of Engineering website (above) and Megan’s post about her experience in Spain here.  Another popular program is the Engineering Design class that goes to China. See it here.

Do research or an internship abroad:  I have a friend who is doing research at a university in New Zealand right now!

Volunteer abroad:  There are tons of opportunities for this, but make sure to do your research, especially if it is not a Penn State program. 

Studying abroad was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.  I cannot highly recommend it enough!  If you choose to study abroad, make sure to do your research to find the program that is right for you.  Even if you choose not to study abroad, there are other opportunities to broaden your horizons; however, nothing beats experiencing a totally different culture. 


Feel free to ask me any questions about my experience!  I can't wait to meet you all at WEPO! 

Ellen Fagan is a senior in Industrial Engineering, and she is the Professional Development Assistant for WEPO '14!  

1 comment:

  1. True words, your unique content remind me the path I came across. Now I'm pursuing my Higher education abroad. Thanks to study in canada

    ReplyDelete