Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Stress Less!

Here comes the homework deadline. Oh, don’t forget the two exams you also have that week. Shoot! You have to finish that presentation for Friday’s class too! Here it comes, now you’re stressed.

I’m sure I’m not the only one to ever have a week like that. Actually, there’s probably at least one per semester. It’s those weeks you feel like nothing is going to go right, you’ll fail your exams, and your project will be lucky to be finished. Good news is that you’re not the only one! We all have these weeks, and if you learn to manage your stress, they won’t be as bad.

1. Plan ahead of time. 
Your professors will give you a syllabus at the very beginning of the semester. Whether you use an agenda or google calendar, put all of the important dates into your planner. This way you can clearly see what weeks are going to be your most busy. When you know a busy week is coming up, you can plan ahead. Figure out your study schedule so you start the week before. Get that homework assignment out of the way as soon as you get it.

During one of my busy weeks, I put everything into my calendar. I include class times, exam times, study time, break time, and work. It helps me to visualize my day better.

2. Use your parents.
My mom and dad know me better than anyone at school ever could. Chances are, your parents do too! Whenever I start to feel stressed out, I take a break and give my mom a call. She knows my stress limits and what will work best for me. Sometimes all you need is a little motivational speech from someone you love saying “You can do it, I believe in you!” I let my dad know when a stressful week is coming up and he always sends motivational pictures or messages on my phone when he leaves for work for me to wake up to. If it’s not your parent, maybe it’s a sibling or friend from home!

3. Motivational quotes. 
Keep motivational quotes everywhere! I have some on sticky notes around my room and in textbooks as well as a whole folder on my computer. I save quotes that I find from pinterest, tumblr, and things I may hear during my day to refer to when I need them most. When you start to stress, you will have these little reminders that everything will be okay and you will finish your project and pass your exams! 

Next time you’re stressed, take a step back, inhale and laugh. Remember who you are and why you are here. You are never given anything in this world that you can’t handle. Be strong, be flexible, love yourself, and love others. Always remember, just keep moving forward.”

“Work Hard. Dream Big. Make it Count!”

4. Mentors! 
REMEMBER YOUR MENTORS. We’re here for you! Text or call us when you start to feel stressed. We’ve all been there. It might not even be a super stressful week. Maybe you’re just really worried about an exam. My mentors always gave me words of encouragement when I thought I couldn’t make it.

5. Take a breather.
Go sit out on Old Main lawn. Go downtown and get kiwi. Watch a few episodes of your favorite show on netflix. Go take a rest up at the arboretum. Go outside and kick a soccer ball around. We all need a break every once in a while. Maybe I’m crazy, but I found I did better on exams this semester when I stopped studying at least an hour before and just relaxed leading up to the exam.

6. Your grades do not define you.
By far the most important part of learning not to stress. I have academic hopes and goals, and I’m sure you do too! Don’t let these hopes and goals rule your life. When you leave an exam room, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it anymore. Pick your head up no matter what and work towards the next exam! If you did well, great! Keep it up. If you didn’t do as well as you had hoped, figure out what didn’t work and try something new! Maybe you find a study group or a tutor. Maybe instead of outlining you make flashcards.

---


My freshman year I was a mess trying to deal with stress. I set high goals for myself and stressed more than I needed to in order to reach them. This past year I set a goal to stress less. I learned all of these important tips from my friends and parents and it not only changed how I deal with stress, but it changed how I look at stressful situations. Instead of being a nervous wreck, I started to realize that these busy and stressful weeks will happen, but I will get through them. Guess what's even better? YOU'LL GET THROUGH THEM TOO! (:

“If you’re having a bad day, keep in mind that your track record for making it through bad days is 100%” 

Lauren Boyle is a junior in Architectural Engineering, and she is a Mentor for WEPO '14! 

No comments:

Post a Comment