Friday, June 5, 2015

Finding your PASSION

Engineering requires passion. Classes can be challenging and jobs can be stressful but as engineers it is our passion that keeps us going and drives us to continue working to make this world a better place. By choosing to pursue a career in this difficult but extremely rewarding field, it is clear that each one of you is passionate about engineering and wants to make a difference in the lives of others. While this is extremely vital to both your education and career, one of the most important aspects of your success as engineer is finding your passion outside of engineering.

As an engineering student, much of your life will revolve around schoolwork and other engineering students. The best thing you can do for yourself is to find something you truly love that can be an outlet from your everyday engineering tasks. Luckily you have a variety of options…

Athletics: varsity sports, club sports, intramural sports, or just regularly going to the gym
Arts: choirs, bands, a cappella groups, theater groups, dance groups
Service: THON, Relay for Life, Habitat for Humanity, and many more
In addition to these there are also organizations for religion, travel, different cultures and so much more!

I found my passion through music. I’ve been singing since I was young and I knew this was something I wanted to continue throughout college. The first week of my freshman year I auditioned for the campus choirs and became a member of the Oriana Singers. I’ve be been an active member of Oriana since my first semester at Penn State and it has been one of the best parts of my last four years at school. Stepping away from studying and projects twice a week to do something I love is incredibly rewarding and prevents me from getting overly stressed with my workload. It has also allowed me to meet some of my best friends and has led to many of my greats memories that I will look back on for years to come.

So find YOUR passion and pursue it! I know it can be challenging to find time between your engineering responsibilities but I promise it will be worth it. Allowing yourself be a part of something to love and look forward to every week will fuel your creativity and make you a much better student and happier person.

Melissa Consiglio is a super senior majoring in Architectural Engineering and is the Engineering Design Lead for WEPO'15!

No comments:

Post a Comment