Monday, July 20, 2015

Finding Your Own “Place”

In high school, I was the type of person that loved to be involved in everything: sports, debate team, student council, pep club, key club – you name it.  However, going into college, I hoped that I would find my real, unique passion, a cause I could work towards everyday.  It was like I was putting this pressure on myself to do something great.  So many of my friends at other schools and my new friends at Penn State already seemed to know their “place.”  I just didn’t.

One day, I followed a link to the Lala, an online magazine meant to empower college girls with style, spirit, and substance.  It focuses on publishing articles that go deeper than ones you normally see, like “Why Blondes Have More Fun.”

Once I read that first article, I was hooked.  I began reading everything on the website from tech and innovation to style and perspective stories.  These were college girls like me writing with such confident and inspiring voices.  After any bad day, I got lost in the Lala for hours and left with more motivation than ever to be an empowered woman.

Around this time, I learned how much I loved to write in my own style.  No more of this high school standard five paragraphs stuff.  I could write about what I felt passionate about.  Being involved with WEPO and the Society of Women Engineers, along with reading more and more articles from the Lala, made me realize that how strongly I felt about empowering women.  When I did things to promote this cause, I felt like I was doing something meaningful.  This is what then inspired me to apply to be a contributing editor for the Lala.  And I got it!

College is all about giving new things a try – things you could never have imagined doing/accomplishing.  There are so many opportunities at Penn State (how many times have you heard that?!) and beyond that spending time on something you are not passionate about is a waste of your time and talents.  You do not need to know exactly what you want.  Just do what gives you peace and happiness.  It is as simple as that!  If you love animals, find the closest animal shelter to volunteer at.  If you love cooking, join the cooking club.  Pursue anything and everything!  Be an advocate for what you believe in.


Once you take the first step, more and more things seem to fall into place.  A feeling of fulfillment in finding your “place” is great. It is a safe-haven.  But half of the fun is working your way there!

Katie Yannarell is a sophomore majoring in BioMedical Engineering and is a Rover for WEPO'15!

No comments:

Post a Comment