Friday, July 3, 2015

Undergraduate Research

Hello freshies!!!!
You are all probably so excited for your life to get started! The night before you leave for school you’ll probably lay awake with a million things running through your head.
“Will I make friends?”
“Will the work load be hard?”
“What’s the food like?”
“OMGEE WILL BOYS BE USING THE SAME BATHROOM AS ME IN MY DORM!?”

And if you’re anything like me, you’re probably an overachiever and already thinking about how you can impress future professors and build your resume.  Have no fear!  You are young engineering caterpillars and professors will prey on your skills - in a good way, I promise.  My first day at Penn State, heck my first entire semester at Penn State, was pretty scary.  I was afraid to raise my hand in class, even if I knew the correct answer.  And the theory behind this fear was merely the myth that freshman don’t know anything yet.  However, you could be more intelligent than the senior sitting next to you and not even know it!


On the subject of undergraduate research at Penn State, you don’t have to be a senior with a 4.0 and three minors to get hired.  I walked into a molecular toxicology and carcinogenesis laboratory on the second week of my freshman year and immediately told myself “I am going to do research here.” And though I was pretty intimidated, I found the office of the professor in charge and asked if he needed any extra help in the lab.  He immediately set up an interview with me the following week.

I will say, I made a MAJOR mistake at the interview.  I had a resume prepared, my nails painted, and my introduction down to a tee.  However, I was wearing destroyed denim jeans and a men’s oversized t-shirt (lol don’t judge).  Dr. Peters gave me one up and down look without saying hello and directed me to a chair.  He immediately started firing questions, and I honestly felt like my mother was yelling at me.  I left his office feeling very down and thought there could be no possible way I got the job, I am only a freshman right!?  WRONG.  He emailed me the very next day about my schedule and I ended up working in his lab for two years!

Each day after class, I would go to the lab and work on my assigned project.  It took about the entire first semester to get the hang of everything and become acquainted with the laboratory, but it was definitely worth it.  I gained a list of technical skills applicable to my field of study in addition to developing work ethic, time management, and becoming close to a great mentor.  Due to my experience, I was offered a co-op with Johnson and Johnson and an internship at INDIGO Biosciences within a year of working in the laboratory.  Undergraduate research opens a world of new doors for your career and it’s fun!

Bottom line, don’t be afraid to talk to professors and compete for a position in their laboratory.  Professors are basically just happy to have someone work for them that has an interest in their work!  It truly is an amazing experience, and I highly recommend applying for positions as an incoming freshman.  If you have the drive and the interest, you will easily obtain an undergraduate research laboratory position.

Megan Campbell is a junior majoring in Biological Engineering, and is a Mentor for WEPO'15!

No comments:

Post a Comment