Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Facts About Research

By now you’ve probably realized Penn State is big.  Like REALLY big!  Due to that, there are literally thousands of things you can get involved in on campus from THON to Peanut butter and Jelly club!  It’s so easy to get lost in all the possibilities, so I’m here to tell you about one of the many, research.  Almost every professor on campus has research opportunities and here are some steps and tips to taking advantage of one of Penn State’s many resources.

1) Figuring Out What You Want To Do:  

The opportunists are actually endless when it comes to research.  I am currently working in Curtis Lab, a chemical engineering lab with a plant biology focus, but you don’t have to work in a lab that is part of your major.  How did I find this lab?  I listened to a talk given by Dr. Curtis.  Professors love to talk about their work, so ask them about it!  You might just find something interesting.  After listening to Dr. Curtis talk about his lab, I had to learn more about it.  Six months later and I spend my days walking the halls with him going over the most recent data I’ve collected for one of my many cacao growth experiments.  I would have never thought I would be capable of working in a college level lab, especially one that involves plants (I have a track record as a flower murder).  However, I’ve come to love my work and it has showed me how impotent it is to keep an open mind when you are trying to figure out what kind of research you want to do.

2) Joining Up

Ok so you’ve found research material you like.  Now what???  It’s extremely intimidating joining such a high level lab, especially as a freshman with so little knowledge of the high level concepts used in a lab.  What I have found is that the best way to join a lab when you don’t have the skills is to start from the bottom.  Volunteer to just come in and wash dishes or fill pipette boxes or anything they need done!  As you get familiar with the space start to make friends with senior lab members and learn about their work, even offer to help them out in little ways or tag along when they do an experiment.  In no time you’ll realize how much you’ve learned and professors really appreciate students who are willing to start at the bottom and work hard to learn their ways to the top.

3) Sticking Around

Working in a lab is a big commitment, especially in the beginning.  There is an overwhelming amount of information to learn and it is very easy to feel like the dumbest person in the room.  I know I felt like that a lot my first few months in lab and it was extremely frustrating.  However, if you love what you’re doing, it’s worth it.  The number of opportunities that I now have through my lab are insane.  I have gained a mentor by working closely with my professor and I even got a paid summer position for working as hard as I did to progress in lab.  But, working in a lab doesn’t have to be a permanent commitment.  If you find yourself working in a lab that don’t like or you find research is not for you, it is more than ok to stop!  Your time is so valuable, don’t waste it doing something you don’t want to do!

Well that’s all for now!  If you have any questions for me about research feel free to contact me at mes5909@psu.edu or find me at WEPO!

Morgan Shires is a sophomore majoring in Chemical Engineering, and is a Rover for WEPO'15!

No comments:

Post a Comment