Friday, August 4, 2017

Thriving in the First Week: Navigating Campus

So one of my biggest fears coming in as a first year student was navigating the campus. I was terrified that I would get lost. In the process, I came up with a couple ways to navigate campus like a pro.
Image result for getting lost meme
The first way is mapping out campus before the first day. I printed out a picture of the campus and took a pen to “walk” myself through the schedule. Later that weekend, I actually walked my schedule as if I was actually going to class. This made me feel significantly more confident on the first day.
Another method I know works well is keeping a picture of the Penn State campus map as the background of your phone. I found out about this idea after talking to some of my floor mates after the first week and thought it was genius. I never put this method into practice, but I know it works well.
If your phone happens to die or you don’t have a map, there are plenty of other students on campus. Just ask! Everyone is so nice and will most likely know where you need to go. I know I have asked my far share of questions, but I have also answered a ton myself. There is no shame in asking for help.
To conclude, DON’T WORRY! I promise you will be fine and the professors are understanding. But hey, at worst you will have a fun adventure!
By Rachel Piecknick

No comments:

Post a Comment