Friday, August 2, 2019

Getting Involved in a THON Committee


       Getting involved in a THON committee is super easy when you first come here to Penn State. Before I had even stepped onto the campus for my fall semester freshman year, I knew I wanted to be involved in THON in any way I can. Everyone kept talking about how I could join a committee or an organization to be a part of THON. So, I joined both! But what's the difference? I'm going to get into some of the details of being on a THON Committee!
Committees are teams that work together in order to make THON happen. Without committees, there wouldn’t be a THON weekend. There are various committees, each with their own purpose and role before, during, and after THON weekend. Being on a committee lets you experience that magical weekend of bringing families and students together to make a difference in the lives of children.

Committees:
  • Communications
  • Dancer Relations
  • Donor & Alumni Relations
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Hospitality
  • Merchandise
  • Operations
  • Public Relations
  • Rules & Regulations
  • Special Events
It’s very easy to be a part of the largest student-run philanthropy in the world! In order to get started, visit think.thon.org and read up on the committee member descriptions. That page will give you a better understanding of what each committee does and how much each committee impacts THON weekend. In September every year, the committee member applications will be available and all you have to do is fill out the application of why you want to be a part of THON and why you would like to be on a committee, then submit the application online as well as in person at the HUB! It’s so simple to fulfill THON’s mission of conquering pediatric cancer!
Not only will you be helping fight against pediatric cancer, you will meet amazing new people! I didn’t just become part of a committee; I became part of a family! Both of my committees were the best times of my college years. I was on R&R both years and they have been the best experiences of my Penn State career. My freshman year committee was called SatuR&Rday Night Liv and my sophomore year committee was called the BeckyaR&Rdigans (I came up with the name hehe)! If you have the opportunity to be a part of something amazing and make a difference in children’s lives, being on a committee is an impactful experience that you won’t regret!
Maria Ellis

Team J Mentor

No comments:

Post a Comment