Friday, August 16, 2019

Sleep --- Not a Maybe, But a Must!

I honestly think it took me twenty years of trial and tribulation to understand the importance and value of a good night’s rest.  College often poses extra challenges in getting enough rest; we’re pressured to take on anything and everything, there is a lot of work to be done, and we still want and need time to eat, exercise, and tend to our mental and emotional health.  But all of that hardly matters when there is not enough gas in our engines.


Take it from me----a 5-hour sleep is hardly a good night’s rest: it’s more of a glorified nap.  Most studies recommend that adults receive 7-9 hours of sleep every evening for optimal energy levels the following day.  And while it is super easy to talk the talk, walkin’ the walk is far harder (take it from me!).


When I transitioned into my second semester, classes started to pick up and I became more involved in student organizations on campus.  In my mind, that translated into: “Hmmm…. I guess that just means I’ll need to toughen up and drink that 9:00pm coffee to get me through!”  With this mindset, I often went to bed anywhere between 1:30 am - 2:30 am, feeling drained and fatigued upon hearing my 7:30 am alarm for my 8:00am class.  After 2-3 days of this pattern, I found myself barely able to pay attention during lecture and caring less and less about the activities I normally loved to do. 


Now---I know everyone is different.  Some may only need 6 hours to feel on top of the world.  Others need 9-10 hours to even function. We all have a different internal clock. Regardless, prioritizing sleep (especiallyyyyyyyy before exams!---*hint hint*) is vital to success; we will not only feel more alert, motivated, and productive, but will also find our days are filled with much higher-quality experiences! 


One of my friends recently shared some really awesome insight with me: he said that ever since he could remember, he always prioritized his 8-9 hours of sleep each night.  In doing so, everything else---his grades, responsibilities, and relationships---all fell into place, and he felt no setbacks because of this priority. Kind of a counter-cultural thought, but one that is quite remarkable and noteworthy!


I don’t want to be hypocritical in the slightest---I am still learning how to do this.  I often find myself pushing my bedtime back and back until I reach only 5-6 hours of sleep that my internal clock really doesn’t like.  It takes discipline, plain and simple. But establishing good habits early on is key, and soon, you’ll be an expert!

So the next time you find yourself making excuses for staying up later and later and later, think about that uplifting sensation after a night full of rest and recovery!


Megan Vareha

Team N Mentor

No comments:

Post a Comment