Thursday, July 15, 2021

Handling Stress at School

 Handling Stress at School

By: Team A

Hey everyone! Here’s some advice from Team A about how to handle stress while in college. Stress is totally normal but by employing some of these tips we hope you can start to learn how to best manage stressful situations and take control of your first-year experience!

First, Kylie, the Team A envoy, writes about her best test-taking tips.

During my first year, I worked really hard to understand the content of my classes, but I still got nervous for some of my exams. All the time and effort I invested into understanding the content helped me succeed on my exams because I learned the material; however, I adopted test-day routines to help me succeed by calming my nerves. For example, before every physics exam at 10 AM, I took a walk outside. This prevented me from trying to cram in problems right before the test and gave me an opportunity to clear my mind.

On the other hand, I always took a nap and ate a microwaved home-cooked meal on my bean bag chair before my chemistry exams because they occurred in the evening after I got off of a long shift at the Learning Factory. This helped me rejuvenate and relax before I started my exam.

These two techniques were very different because the tests occurred during different situations, but they both helped me get comfortable and ready for my exam. By creating test-day routines, I gave myself calming habits that I could adopt, helping me rejuvenate and calm my nerves.

Picture before CHEM exam:


 Next, Kara, Team A mentor, shares some of her best strategies for making sure you have some “you time” during your busy schedule.
Making time for yourself is so important to managing your stress in college. I like to do this by building it into my schedule as if it was a class or club. For example, last semester, I finished class at 10:20 on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so from 10:20 until my next class at 12:05, this was my designated “me time”. I physically added this block of time into my calendar on my phone and my planner so that I would never skip it. Depending on my mood, I would go to the gym, make myself a nice lunch, or take a walk to Starbucks. I’ve also found that it’s helpful to have an accountability buddy for managing your stress and ensuring that you have plenty of “you time” just like you have study accountability buddies.
My roommate and I like to sign up to go to fitness classes together. This way, since we both signed up to go, we can’t bail on each other and skip this important time to destress. Similarly, sometimes we make plans to go to the farmer’s market on Friday afternoons together or have a movie night. Regardless of the activity, having someone to remind me to destress and to prioritize my mental health is so helpful during the middle of the semester when this could easily slip my mind. Overall, I think the most important part of guaranteeing that you have “you time” is to plan for it! Whether you want to make plans with friends or add it as a section in your calendar, both of these are great strategies for making sure that you don’t forget to take a breath and relax!
Finally, Danielle, Team A mentor, shares her advice about stepping away from the desk.
This past year I’ve really noticed the importance of taking time to step away from work and enjoy some time outside. I used to have the bad habit of sitting inside for hours working on schoolwork and then be so worn out and mentally drained by the end of the day. Now, I’ve learned that setting time aside to enjoy some fresh air really increases my productivity- so even though I’m spending fewer hours at my desk, I’m getting much more done because I don’t tire myself out. My favorite way to do this is just to explore campus.
 I like to study in the Library, so on the way home I make a few detours to explore the Alumni Garden to watch the ducks, or the arboretum to enjoy the seasonal displays. These areas are absolutely beautiful in the spring and fall, and bring a sense of happiness that helps me forget all the worries I had about an upcoming assignment. I even like exploring in the cold winter- campus in the snow is always breathtaking, and downtown is always fun to visit (especially with a cup of hot coffee from Irving’s). The bottom line is to remember that the world is bigger than your schoolwork and set time aside to enjoy the beautiful areas Penn State has to offer. 





No comments:

Post a Comment