Thursday, July 22, 2021

Joining Greek Life

Greek Life

By: Team M

You might have heard a bit about “Greek life” a.k.a. the Greek sororities and fraternities on college campuses. Maybe you’ve heard about it from older siblings or friends, or from seeing it in a show. I’d like to share a bit about my experience with Penn State Greek life and help answer any questions you may have.

How to Join

For most Greek organizations there is a rush/recruitment process for potential new members who want to join. This takes place over a couple of weeks at either the beginning of Fall or Spring semester. For first-year students, they have to wait to rush until Spring semester because they need at least 14 credits to register (to gauge, most students take between 15-18 credits each semester). The rush process for sororities allows you to meet each sorority and talk to current members so you can decide which one aligns the most with your goals, interests, and hobbies. You can find out more general information about Greek life and how to join here 


What do Sororities/Fraternities do?

Going into Greek life I wasn’t sure what to expect since I didn’t have any older friends or siblings in one of the organizations. But, I am very glad I joined because I have been able to meet so many new people and make new friends. This is what I was really looking for from joining a sorority. Although this does happen for many people, I didn’t actually meet my best friends through my sorority. I had met them my first semester from my dorm and residence area. What being in a sorority did was allow me to create a larger network of people and friends to make a large school feel much smaller (cliché but true!). It’s a nice feeling to walk around and see familiar faces wherever you go.

In addition to making new friends, I have been able to participate in community service and campus events with my sorority. Participating in THON with a Greek organization is so much fun because everyone comes with so much spirit, energy, and is decked out in the org’s theme (every sorority/fraternity has their own theme each THON-- mine last year was Olympics!). It’s also a great place to meet others and bond at such an emotional, community strong event.

Along with THON, each Greek org has a national philanthropy which they fundraise for and donate to. Some examples of philanthropies are the American Heart Association, the Starkey Hearing Foundation, and the Make A Wish Foundation. Through Greek org’s, members get the opportunity to participate in events to give back to their philanthropy. Through my sorority, I fundraised and made blankets for children with serious medical conditions at The Painted Turtle Camp.

Joining a Greek organization is a commitment, but has been great for me and has enhanced my college experience. If you are even slightly interested, I’d say give it a chance because why not! College is the perfect time to join clubs, step outside your comfort zone, and try things you never would have pictured yourself doing! Greek life is a great opportunity to try something new and I truly encourage you to give it a try.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment