Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Creating a New Home

This summer, I'm working at my first "big girl" job!.  Last fall, at Penn State's career fair, I interviewed with Dow Chemical and got a co-op position.  That means that I'll be working for them three different times before I graduate from college.  I just started my first term two weeks ago.  For the summer, I'm living just outside of Philadelphia, and working in their plant in Croydon, PA.

Being from a rural area outside of Pittsburgh, this is definitely something different for me.  I'm not used to a city or getting stuck in traffic, which can be frustrating sometimes.  Another thing that I'm not used to is having so many things to do so close by, which is a definite plus!  This summer, not only will I be getting a ton of work experience, but I'll also get the opportunity to do so many fun things that I've never done before.  The top things on my list are going to the beach, Six Flags, and many of the museums in Philadelphia like the Franklin Institute and the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  I have ten weeks ahead of me that I can use to bond with my fellow co-ops and really experience life in a new way.  Then, at the end of the summer, I get to have an awesome time at WEPO with all of you!
I know coming to college can be intimidating to some.  It was for me.  I went to a really small high school, so coming to a school where I would have more people in a lecture with me than I graduated with was kind of scary.  The campus seemed large and overwhelming.  After I did WEPO though, this all changed.  During my three days at WEPO, I got to walk around the campus and become familiar with it.  I also got to meet so many people that when classes started, I already had friends and people to talk to.  It only takes about a week or two to really get to know your way around.  As for the large lectures, I find that sitting towards the front makes them seem smaller.

Once classes start and you get all settled in, some things other than classes that you can look forward to are football games, homecoming, creamery ice cream, grilled stickies at the diner, climbing Mount Nittany, THON, and so much more.  Penn State is a large community with so many supportive people and fun things to do.  I'm sure all of you will feel at home in no time!



Emily Burd is a junior majoring in Chemical Engineering.  Emily was previously a WEPOteer in 2009 and will serve as a mentor in WEPO 2011. In addition, Emily is involved in the American Institiute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) and the Society of Women Engineers. Feel free to contact her at enb5032@psu.edu.


No comments:

Post a Comment