Monday, June 6, 2011

Freshman Dorm Room Frights!

This is Meghan Fisher, coming to you from my current internship working for ConocoPhillips in Houston Texas! One of the my biggest worries about moving to Texas for the summer was having a roommate who I did not know before coming to work, which is always a little bit scary! However, my experience at Penn State taught me all about how to get along with a roommate while living in a new place!

Growing up, I had my own room. So when I went to college my freshman year, I knew that having a roommate was going to be a shock! After getting my housing assignment in east halls, I discovered that my roommate was the complete opposite of me; when I was playing soccer she was cheerleading (not a
bad thing, just different). This made me extremely concerned about learning to live and get along with her. I came into the semester freaking out and extremely nervous about my roommate; I prejudged her. However, within a few hours I discovered that although we were different, we were going to get along great. We went the entire year not having a single fight, had a great year and instead are still friends today; even despite our extremely different backgrounds and interests. It taught me that although someone may be different you
should always give them a chance.

As you many know, Penn State has a lot of places for freshman to live; Pollock, East, South,
North and West. Each one has its own benefits and setbacks but each one will provide you with everything that you will need to make your first year at Penn State a great one!
I hope that if you are worried about living in the dorms with your first roommate, I may have helped you feel a little bit more at ease. You are going to have a great experience at Penn State, but just so you know, if you do have trouble with your living situation there are always people at WEPO who are willing to help you!

I am sooo excited for WEPO and to meet you all!!!

Meghan Fisher is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering. Meghan has interned with Georgia Pacific-Dixie and is currently interning in Houston, TX with ConocoPhillips.   Meghan has previously been a WEPOteer and Mentor and will be serving as Design Lead for WEPO 2011. Meghan is extremely active within the College of Engineering community, as she has served as President and Secretary of Engineers without Bordersand is the current Vice President of the American Society for Mechanical Engineers (ASME). Email Meghan questions at mef234@psu.edu.

2 comments:

  1. Fisher, you cannot just post a picture of two people for a bunch of girls who have never met you and expect them to know which one is you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Announcement: I am the one on the right.

    ReplyDelete