Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Welcome to Happy Valley!

When I tell people I go to Penn State, one of the most common questions they have is how I like such a big campus.  My response? I love it!  I’ll be the first to tell you that campus is huge, and there’s lots of ground to cover, but I don’t think about this as a bad thing – I embrace it!  As a freshman I had classes all over campus. It was a little bit overwhelming at first, thinking about making it to all of my classes on time when there was only 15 minutes between each, but it didn’t turn out bad at all! There are a few tips that make such a big campus a positive experience rather than a hindrance.

Personally, I’m a fan of walking. Spending a few minutes extra minutes outside in the fresh air is refreshing between classes and studying.  There are always different things to see, and different short cuts to take so walking around campus never gets boring.  Walking between classes is also a good time to catch up with friends.  When I’m not with friends I don’t mind spending some time just walking alone across campus.  I know that might seem a tad bit weird, but when you spend the majority of your time around roommates, in classes, and studying with other people, fifteen or so minutes walking back home by yourself is refreshing.  I’ll usually put my headphones in my ears, turn my iPod on and zone out (so if you see me on campus and I walk by without saying hi, I swear I’m not ignoring you on purpose).
Although I enjoy walking around campus, I know that not everyone does.  Tons of people ride their bikes from class to class, so if that’s your thing definitely bring one!  There are bike racks at each of the dorms and in front of or near every building on campus.  Buses are another thing to consider.  On days when the weather’s bad nobody wants to walk a mile through the rain to get home.  There are campus bus loops that can take you almost everywhere around campus.  The blue and white loops, and the green and red links are free and people use them all of the time.  The loops go in circles around campus, and the links go to other places like the stadium parking lots and Innovation Park.   The buses are extremely easy to use and very convenient.  I’m sure your mentor will tell you all about them and you can check out the CATA website here, which has all of the bus routes and can tell you exactly where the busses are at any certain time.

In spite of the buses, there are going to be times where you find walking around in bad weather to be inevitable.  There are a few things that you’ll want to bring with you to make the walk bearable. 
1 – Rain boots!!! You’ll be miserable if your feet are wet all day long.   And I promise nobody’s going to look at you funny for wearing them, because we all do. 
2 -- A raincoat.  Even if you have an umbrella, the rain has this nasty tendency to blow sideways and get you all wet anyways, so you won’t regret bringing a waterproof jacket.  
3 – Snow boots.  Not everyone wears snow boots when it snows.  Some people are happy just to wear any old shoes or rain boots.  Personally, I think that’s uncomfortable because my feet get wet and cold.  I went my whole freshman year without snow boots and after buying a pair my sophomore year I’m not sure how I was ever comfortable without them.
Whichever way you decide you like to get around campus I’m sure you’ll find something you like, and before you know it campus won’t seem big at all.  From the start you’ll see lots of familiar WEP faces, and as you become more involved in classes and clubs you’ll see plenty of other people that you know, too.  Remember that your mentors are always there to help if you have questions or need suggestions.  I can’t wait to see everyone on campus in the fall!

Sarah Schopman is a junior majoring in Bioengineering.  Sarah was previously a WEPOteer and Rover and will serve as a mentor in WEPO 2011. Sarah is also working this summer as a research intern for the National Cancer Institute in their Integrative Cancer Biology Program. On campus she participates in research in the Biomechanics Laboratory, sits on the Engineering Orientation Network (EON) board of directors and is active in THON and Relay for Life. Email Sarah at sas5669@psu.edu!

No comments:

Post a Comment