Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Be Yourself!

Ok, I know the title sounds really cheesy, but it’s true. Coming into Penn State as an out of state student, I was nervous that everyone would already have friends from high school and nobody would want to be friends with me. Looking back on this unneeded nervousness, it seems silly. One thing that I have found about Penn State students, and women engineers in particular, is that they are so friendly and open to meeting new people. So, be open to meeting more people, and branching off from your high school friends. And out of staters, don’t be nervous like I was.
Being myself has made my Penn State experience amazing. I have met so many awesome engineers and other PSU students. I even got to meet President Graham Spanier!  I think one aspect of PSU engineering that is truly special, is the welcoming community. Definitely try to get involved in this environment. I am involved in Engineering House (E House), a living a learning community in West Halls that promotes a great and fun learning environment. E House members are willing to tutor,  help with school work, and even give life advice. Other organizations like Society of Women Engineers (SWE) also promote this fun and accepting environment. Additionally, make sure to embrace your nerdy side. It is true, most of us WEPO members are slightly nerdy inside, and we aren’t afraid to show that sometimes!
Branching out has led me to an awesome internship in Oklahoma City! This summer, I am working for Chesapeake Energy, the largest natural gas producer in the country. At first, I was slightly nervous about being so far from my home in New Jersey. I am so glad that I decided to jump on this opportunity and step out of my comfort zone. I have learned so many cool things, and been able to witness an industry that I once knew nothing about. Here is a cool video to describe some of the things that I saw in the field!
So my final advice is to be yourself, be open to meeting new people, and take positive risks. Usually they all work out in the end. And also remember, HAVE FUN!
I am so excited for WEPO 2011 and I hope you all are too!
~LEXI

Alexandra (Lexi) Greene is a sophomore majoring in Industrial Engineering. She is a WEPO 2011 rover, and is the 2011 Secretary for Engineering House, Webmaster for SWE, and is involved in the Leonhard Honors Engineering program. She is working for Chesapeake Energy Corporation in Oklahoma City this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment