Tuesday, July 26, 2011

How can I keep from playing (or singing)?

One of the best pieces of advice I can offer is to make sure you continue to do something you absolutely love.  As an engineering major it is vital that you find balance in your schoolwork and extra curricula activities, as many others have already alluded to in their blogs.  For me it was my love of music, there was no way I was ever going to give it up.  I have been playing the piano since I was 7 and the flute since I was 11.  Plus it was a real easy way for me to satisfy my general education arts credits.  I have so many now that I probably could sell them off (3 credits anyone, going once, twice…)  Though I am an unusual case since I typically scheduled 1 credit of ensemble (for flute) and 2 credits of private lessons for piano on top of a 15 credit work load.

It is very easy to get involved and there are many opportunities.  Check out the School of Music’s webpage for non-majors  Campus Band, Concert Band, Campus Orchestra, and Campus Choir are all non-audition, but you may need to play or sing before the director for seating.  The rest of the groups typically have auditions during the first week of classes, so make sure to head over to the Music Building II (next to the Forum) to sign up.  Also go to www.schedule.psu.edu to see what time the ensemble you are interested in meets (make sure it doesn’t conflict with your classes) and choose Music as the course subject.  You can also schedule them right away if they do not require an audition.

The other option is private lessons with either a grad student or one of the music professors.  In order to sign up for these, you must go to the music office on the second floor for Music Building I to fill out the application for private music lessons.  If you have studied your instrument for a significant amount of time, then you will need to audition in front of the professors, so be sure to prepare some things for that.

Please email me if you would like more information on how to get involved!!


Susan Jankewicz is a super senior in Industrial Engineering. Susan will serve as a WEPO Mentor this year and is also involved the Newman Catholic Student Association and Engineering Ambassadors. Susan has completed internship rotations with GE Transportation, Johnson and Johnson's Ortho Clinical Diagnostics, Sikorsky Global Helicopter and currently W. L. Gore. Contact her at slj5051@psu.edu.

No comments:

Post a Comment