Sunday, June 3, 2012

Making New Friends in College


Hi everyone!  Welcome to Penn State!

Before starting college, I was not expecting to make a lot of new friends because I am from State College and most of my high school attends Penn State.  However, I was wrong about this and WEPO was the first place I made new friends.  Some of the women you will meet at WEPO will be in your classes for the next four (or five) years.  Even if they are not in your major, a lot of the classes engineering students take for the first two years are same, such as math, chemistry, and physics.  Being able to sit with people you know on the first day of class is nice.

However, if you do not know anyone else in your classes, it is not a problem.  A lot of people won’t know anyone either – they are in the same boat you are.  I know it might sound intimidating, but talk to the people around you in class.  

Besides WEPO and class, your dorm is also a place to make new friends whether it is your roommate or other people on your floor or in your building.  After WEPO, you will have an orientation with your RA and the other people on your floor.  I know my freshman year, my floor went to dinner for a couple of nights in the beginning so we could all get to each other.  In addition, throughout the year, your RA will have floor events that you can attend if you want.

Lastly, become involved.  Penn State has so many different opportunities to get involved.  Here is the link to the organizations at Penn State - http://studentaffairs.psu.edu/hub/studentorgs/orgdirectory/.  If there is something you are interested in, there is probably already a club for it.  There are several engineering clubs that you will learn about at WEPO and in the beginning of the school year.  The link also lists the sororities and the intramural and club sports if you are interested in either of those.

I hope all of you enjoy WEPO and I look forward to meeting you.

Devon Curley is a fifth year in Chemical Engineering. She is a mentor for WEPO 2012. This summer Devon is completing her third internship with Kimberly Clark.

No comments:

Post a Comment