Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Pennypacker (FISE) Experience


Hi girls! My name is Ellen Fagan. I’m an Industrial Engineering major and I’ll be a sophomore in the fall. Last year, I lived in Pennypacker Hall, and I’m honestly so sad that I can’t live there again. (Though, I’ll be in an apartment with four of my floormates from Pennypacker, so I’ll live.) 

Ellen (second from left) with Pennypacker floormates.
At first, I was skeptical about living in Pennypacker, the Special Living Option (SLO) called the Freshmen in Science and Engineering Building (FISE). I thought that I was going to be living with lots of nerds, that they were going to be locked up in their rooms studying all the time, and that I wasn’t going to have anything in common with them.  I couldn’t have been more wrong. 

For the first week or two, my roommate and I kept the door propped open all the time.  Many girls from the floor would come in and talk to us; it was a really great way to meet everyone.  In fact, I met my best friend by leaving the door open.  She came to the door, introduced herself, and told me I “said her name wrong.”  We’ve been friends ever since.

During the first few weeks when everything was still so new, everyone made it a point to eat dinner with girls from the floor.  We asked what classes everyone was taking, and we were all pleasantly surprised that we all had classes together.  In fact, I only had three classes last year that none of my floormates were taking, and two of those were Spanish classes.  It was great to be able to walk with my new friends to class, and it was also super helpful that they were right next-door if I needed help with homework.  

Blue & White Carnival with Pennypacker floormates.
Those awkward first few dinners and random questions about classes eventually transformed into going to club meetings together, going to Power Remix (it’s a fitness class - try it!), watching our favorite shows, and just hanging out.  My floormates became some of my best friends in the world.  We did everything together, and we managed to make everything fun, even marathon study sessions for finals.  I'm going to miss living on the same floor as all of my favorite people at Penn State, but I'm so thankful to the housing staff who put us together. :)

Wherever you live next year, smile and introduce yourself! Everyone is new and trying to make friends, just like you.  Remember to be open to new people and new experiences; that’s what college is about.  I’m so excited for you all to come to Penn State - you're going to love it.  Can’t wait to see you at WEPO! 

Ellen Fagan is a sophomore in Industrial Engineering. Ellen is a rover for WEPO '12.

No comments:

Post a Comment