Tuesday, June 12, 2012

WEPO have spirit yes we do! WEPO have spirit how bout you?


Hi everyone, my name is Jill and I am the Spirit Lead for WEPO this year!  As Spirit Lead I am in charge of everything fun.  Just kidding, everything at WEPO is fun!  But I am in charge of spirit night which is a great opportunity to just let loose, have fun and meet girls that aren’t in your group.  The first rule of spirit night is that you don’t talk about spirit night, so I won’t be telling you any details, you will just have to wait and see!  However, I will give you a hint about the theme: it is based on a popular tv show where people compete in challenges to outlast each other.

Broomball fun during WEPO '11
I am also in charge of broomball, which is one of my favorite WEPO activities!  It is kind of like ice hockey but without the skates.  For this activity you will want to wear jeans because if you are uncoordinated or just really intense like I am, you will be falling a lot.  Other pants will work too, but jeans tend to be the least absorbent and the best protection for your legs.  Also, this will be in the ice rink and it will be chilly, so bring a sweatshirt or a long sleeve shirt.

Spirit is also something that Penn State as a whole is definitely not lacking.  Students have enthusiasm and pride for all things Penn State, and there is no greater feeling than your first Penn State football game in the student section.  I will admit, I am no die hard football fan and I had the misfortune of forgetting to buy season tickets as a freshman, but I went to the first game with my friends and was in awe.  To see the sheer number of students, alumni and fans cheering for Penn State made me feel such a strong sense of belonging to the Penn State family.  You will experience this in so many ways your first year at Penn State.  From football to Homecoming to THON, it never ceases to amaze me the amount of spirit and pride Penn Staters have and what a positive effect it has on everyone.  We really do live in a Happy Valley!


So get excited for all of the fun WEPO spirit events and remember WE ARE...PENN STATE!


Jill Holloway is a senior in Civil Engineering. This summer she is working for Chevron in Houston, TX. Jill is the Overall Spirit Lead for WEPO 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment