Sunday, June 10, 2012

Summer Adventures in China


            Almost immediately after finishing my last final and saying a teary eyed goodbye to my freshman dorm, I started organizing my things for a month long trip to… China! “The Cultural Impact on Engineering in China”  (ENGR 197A) is an engineering course led by a Penn State professor which grants 30 engineering students the opportunity to explore China: both the magnificent structures and landmarks, and the incredible culture. I can’t even put in words how phenomenal this program was. I learned so much about so many things. I learned some Mandarin, examined feats of Chinese engineering, acquired insight into the Chinese customs and traditions, and met some inspiring industry professionals, such as the CEO of Ford in China. Just one year ago I was in the same terrifyingly exciting position many of you are in today: mourning the loss of my former life as a high school senior, but so curious to see where the future brought me. Penn State was the best decision I’ve ever made. The proof is in the endless resources and opportunities offered by PSU such as this engineering class abroad. 
           
            I’m still reeling from my Asian adventure but I’m also excited about my research in an environmental engineering lab at Villanova University. I just started this week, but for the rest of the summer I’ll be working with a graduate student conducting experiments related to the development of novel electrochemical and catalytic technologies to help facilitate water reuse and reduce fossil fuel usage.

            While all of this sounds a little intimidating and overwhelming I want to use myself as an example to show you girls anything is possible at Penn State. If you want to do something, whether it is travelling, working in the lab for a particular professor, or even joining a new sport or club, as long as you are proactive and work hard, you can do it all. Penn State is an incredible place with so many cool opportunities and ways to get involved, but they aren’t going to seek you out, you have to reach out and take them.

            I can’t wait to meet you in the fall and share my beloved Penn State with you all!

Jamie Sweeney is a sophomore in Industrial Engineering. This summer Jamie is traveling to China and doing research at Villanova University. She is a rover for WEPO 2012. 

No comments:

Post a Comment