Monday, July 8, 2013

Find your Passion, and don’t be afraid to get involved!


I remember my freshman year after WEPO, I was a bit overwhelmed with all of the amazing opportunities at Penn State. I remember walking through the involvement fair in the HUB and so many different clubs looked super interesting. I got even MORE confused after I went to the amazing engineering involvement fair in Hammond Building. With all the fascinating clubs and activities, I wanted to get involved but I didn’t know how to start!

I signed up for a plethora of different clubs and got a LOT of emails about meetings at the beginning of the year. I thought I wanted to be a stand up comedian, be a choral songstress, and even be a casual croquet player.  None of the above panned out….for various reasons! I finally was dragged to a Society of Women Engineers meeting and really found that it aligned with my passion.  

In the spirit of Penn State awesomeness, I also decided to camp out for Penn State Home football games in what is now called Nittanyville (super fun)! Through these two experiences during my freshman year, I was able to create a network of amazing Penn Staters and this lead into more involvement opportunities during the next two years of my Penn State journey.

So my advice to all incoming Penn Staters is to go to many club meetings in the beginning of the year, find out what you enjoy and where you see yourself fitting in, and don’t be afraid to ask about further opportunities for involvement and leadership! Getting involved has certainly been one of the most beneficial and rewarding experiences of my time thus far, and Penn State has sooooooo much to do.

And as always, your WEPO family is fully stocked with women with a diverse bundle of experiences on campus, so look out for some cool WEPO flair and ask about how to get involved!

In the spirit of passion finding, here is one of my favorite inspiring quotes:

Passion is the genesis of genius” --Tony Robbins

WEPOL<3VE


Lexi 



Alexandra "Lexi" Greene is a senior in Industrial Engineering and the Professional Development Lead for WEPO'13!  To read more about Lexi visit her WEPO Profile:

No comments:

Post a Comment