Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Why The Arts are Just as Important as Engineering


Throughout high school, music was always an important part of my life. Although I always knew I wanted to be an engineer, music was a strong passion of mine that I promised myself I would never give up in college. So I didn’t..

My name is Katrina Malaski and in the fall I will be a junior at Penn State University. I am majoring in Chemical Engineering and minoring in Music Performance with a concentration in oboe. You may think that sounds like a strange combination, but ironically I am not the only Chemical Engineer minoring in music, and definitely not the only engineer also pursuing a music degree.

If you’re reading this and don’t have any interest in music, don’t stop reading! No matter what your passions are besides engineering, it is important to not forget about the hobbies and interests that make you who you are, and to continue to pursue them in college.

Here are a few things I believe are very positive attributes of minoring in the arts..

1.) Expanding Your Friend Group - I’m sure you will find quickly that you will be spending the majority of your time surrounded by other engineers. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, my best friends and roommate are friends I met through engineering, but sometimes it is good to get away from the math and science brains and surround yourself with people who share different and similar interests. Being involved with music in high school enabled me to form friendships with many people who now attend The Penn State School of Music. Being involved with instrumental groups at Penn State has allowed me to grow as a musician as well as form many new friendships.

2.) Escaping Engineering - When your first round of midterms approaches in the first semester, it is a usual occurrence for students to freak out and not know how to successfully manage their time. Don’t worry, somehow you’ll get through it and when it’s over, music can be a great escape route. I always find myself running to the music building to practice after a big exam or project is due. Music allows me to be able to escape all the math formulas or chemistry reactions crammed into my brain and focus on a larger picture such as a piece of music. For you, your escape may not be music, but whatever it may be, I’m sure it is just as important.

3.) Small Talk in Job Interviews - One great thing about being involved in the arts is that everyone who will interview you, will always interested in how you balance engineering and the arts. I have found that many professional engineers have also had an interest in music (Including Cheryl!) at either a high school or college level. Music truly is a universal language and can open many doors as well as connect you with many people throughout your life.

4.) Boosting Your GPA - Over the past two years I have found that by enrolling in music classes, I am able to excell much easier than in some of my harder engineering classes. A music performance minor is an additional 22 credits, some of which I find can boost my GPA during a difficult semester. As a music performance minor, I can choose certain classes that I want to take and that I know I will be excited about. In this way, my minor enables me to focus on areas of music I want to advance in. It is also an extremely flexible minor for whatever classes I choose to study, making it that much easier for me to accomplish to my goal.

Regardless of whether your passion is the arts or not, it is definitely worth considering a minor even if it is something far different from engineering. If you plan to continue with the arts in college by taking lessons, performing, etc., why not pick up a minor while doing so? If you choose to pursue a minor in something completely different than engineering, chances are someone has already done, or is doing, what you plan to achieve. Talk early to advisers to make sure you can achieve the minor you want, and without a doubt I am sure you can too be successful.


Katrina Malaski is a junior in Chemical Engineering and Mentor for WEPO'13!  To read more about Katrina visit her WEPO Profile:

No comments:

Post a Comment