Tuesday, July 30, 2013

How to survive your first week!

My first week of college was the first time I had ever been away from home by myself. I was excited, anxious, overwhelmed, and slightly terrified. Going to college can be a difficult transition, so here are some tips to rock your first week in Happy Valley.
  1. Figure out where all of your classes are before Monday morning. This was one of the best pieces of advice that I got when I was a WEPO-teer. The Sunday evening before classes started, my WEPO mentor walked with our group and showed us each one of the buildings on our schedules. It’s important to know where you are going because you only have 15 minutes in between classes, and sometimes you need to walk from one end of campus to the other. You need to make it to class on time and even a few minutes early to guarantee you’ll get a seat (classes are usually overfilled for the first few weeks). Knowing where you’re going on your first day can be extremely comforting and will make you look like a campus pro.
  2. Eat more than just a salad. I was too nervous to scope out all my options at the dining commons when I first got to school. I instead resorted to the salad bar. Twice a day. For more than two weeks. It was an unfortunate mistake because there are so many fantastic food choices in each of the dining commons. No one will stare at you if you wander around for a few minutes trying to decide. Also, if you find yourself in West, search for the cookies. They’re worth every calorie.
  3. Don’t forget that everyone else is feeling awkward too It can be tempting to crawl under your covers and hide when you get to college. You may feel like everyone else knows each other already and you’re the only one without friends. Don’t believe those lies! Everyone else on your floor, in your classes, and in that organization you’re thinking about joining wants to meet new people too. If you’re too shy to put yourself out there, grab your roommate and go meet new people together. You two will likely have more than a few awkward moments together during the year, so why not start early? Or, grab your WEPO girls and head to the Creamery (I recommend Arboretum Breeze).
  4. Don’t buy your books before going to class First semester I wanted to be on top of things as much as possible, so I ordered my textbooks online weeks before leaving for State College. It wasn’t easy to fit another box in my car on move-in day, and on top of that, I found out during the first week of class that I didn’t need many of the books I bought. I ended up with two copies of the Calc I textbook and the wrong version of the Econ book, since my professor changed the book for the course after I’d already bought mine. It’s best to wait until after the first class to decide which books you should buy. Your professor will specify what you really need; alternatively, you can find out which textbooks are required at any of the campus bookstores. They have special computers that you can use to search for the classes on your schedule. Also, always check Amazon or other online stores before you buy. The HUB is usually the most expensive place to buy books.
  5. Have confidence The College of Engineering accepted you for a reason! You have worked hard to get where you are, and you belong here. The first week can be very intimidating, but you WILL be ok. Freshman year is tough, but there are many resources available to you to help you succeed. Find yourself a “study-buddy” who wants to earn the same grades you do, and get yourself plugged into a WEP Facilitated Study Group, which you’ll hear more about in the coming weeks. Being proactive in your studies and working hard always pays off!
  6. Ask for help! Your WEP leaders are here for you. We’ve all been where you are and we’ve all asked the same “dumb” questions. Don’t be afraid to reach out to us as a resource.  Anything from how do I pass Physics 211 to what’s a pokey stick – we’ve got the answers! If we don’t, we’ll find you someone who does.
Tori Vadyak is a junior in Chemical Engineering and a Mentor for WEPO'13.  To read more about Sam visit her WEPO Profile: http://raindancer45.wix.com/ladyengineers#!tori-vadyak/c1eau

No comments:

Post a Comment