Tuesday, July 16, 2013

WISER Program at Penn State



Hey lovely ladies!

Today I wanted to talk to you about the WISER program. Yes, it’s a program that’s meant to make you wise…er! Seriously though, WISER stands for Women In Science and Engineering Research. It’s a program that’s meant to give women an opportunity to work in a research lab, especially as freshman!

Just for a little bit of background: I’m a junior in chemical engineering and I am now a mentor for WEPO! I’m so excited! But more to the point, when I was a freshman I went to all the WEP Wednesdays throughout the year. During the first semester, I went to a meeting where a sophomore stood up and told us about experience with the WISER program. So I decided to apply! A few weeks later I found out that I was accepted into the program and that I would start in the Solar Cell Research Lab when my second semester started.

I was really scared to start working there. I mean, I had absolutely zero lab experience and I did not know my new lab professor. But everything turned out okay – better than okay really! I’ve been working in this lab for the last three semesters, and I’ve learned so much.

I know you might think that it’s too early to start applying to work in a research lab, and you might think you aren’t quite ready yet. Don’t worry, it’s not as much pressure as you might think! The lab professors are very helpful, and their main goal is to help you learn. Not to mention, the experience you gain working in a lab will be invaluable in your future!

It’s also important for me to mention that this program isn’t just for bio and chemical engineers; it’s for all kinds of engineers and scientists. There are so many different labs on campus that you can apply to: mechanical and computer engineering labs even. You don’t even have to be sure of your major!
The WISER program will place you in a lab of your choice for two semesters, and you will receive a stipend when you finish. After those two semesters you may continue working in that lab, or ask to join another professor’s lab, or stop doing research altogether. It’s all up to you!

If you are in the Honor’s College, you will need to write a thesis by the time you graduate. The WISER program will help you get a head start with all of that! No need to panic : )

The most important thing is to take the first step. You may not be sure if you like research or not, but the only way to know is to just try it out!

I’m sure we’ll talk more about this at a WEP Wednesday during the first two months of the semester. If you have any other questions about it, please come and find me at WEPO! I’d be more than happy to tell you all about it!

Your super excited mentor,
Kristen Myatt : )


Kristen Myatt is a junior in Chemical Engineering and a Mentor for WEPO'13!  To read more about Kristen visit her WEPO Profile: http://raindancer45.wix.com/ladyengineers#!kristen-myatt/c3lb

No comments:

Post a Comment