Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Getting Involved in Undergraduate Research

As an incoming freshman at WEPO, I remember being in awe of all of the upperclass(wo)men engineers. It seemed like every time a member of the leadership team stood up to introduce herself, she rattled off an infinitely long list of activities she was involved in and engineering experiences she had.  I remember thinking to myself that I’d never be able to do all of those things.  Low and behold, I am now entering my junior year as a mechanical engineer, and I’m proud to say that I have done a lot of those things, and you can too! 

I would like to take the time to tell you a little about one of the engineering experiences that I am involved with at Penn State: undergraduate research.   I currently work in the Engineering Design and Optimization Group Lab (EDOG for short) in the Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering Department.  The project I am working on involves the optimization of thermal ablation probe tips to be used in the treatment of pancreatic cancer. 
          
When I came to Penn State, I had no intention of ever getting involved in research, but at the end of my freshman year an opportunity arose, and I jumped on it.  I figured it would be a great opportunity for me to gain a little insight into the wide world of research, even if it was something I wasn’t fully interested in.   Looking back, I am very happy that I made that decision and that I was given the opportunity to get involved.   As you begin your career as an engineering student, I’d like you to keep this in mind.  I think getting involved in research is something everyone should try, because it truly is a great learning experience!

 As a freshman, it is sometimes a little difficult (although not impossible!) to get an internship or co-op.  Research, however, is something that you can easily get involved with in order to quickly acquire some quality engineering experience which will look great on your resume.  As freshmen women, you will have the opportunity to apply to the WISER program (Women in Science and Engineering Research), which will allow you to get some research experience for an entire semester. 

There are also a handful of research fellowships you can apply for if you look hard enough.  For example, the MNE Department offers the Shuman Fellowship for Mechanical Engineering students and the Westinghouse-Toshiba fellowship for Nuclear Engineering students.  It is through this program that I applied and acquired my research position.

Finally, don’t be afraid to approach a professor and ask about the research that they do!  If you are interested in a project that they are working on, simply ask if they have room for an undergraduate research assistant in their lab! Most likely, the answer will be yes!

I highly recommend getting involved in undergraduate research because it is a great way to gain experience.  Not only that, but it allows you to explore your options as an engineer and get exposure to the many opportunities available to you.  I am so happy that I decided to become involved with research, and I honestly think you will be too!


Katie Ciccaglione is a junior in Biomedical Engineering and the Assistant Professional Development Lead for WEPO'13.  

No comments:

Post a Comment