Thursday, August 8, 2013

PACKING FOR THE BIG DAY


Hi EVERYONE!!  My name is Kenna Markel.  I am a 3rd year in Architectural Engineering and a mentor for Team E!  I am currently living in Reston, VA and spending my summer interning with DAVIS Construction!  I grew up outside of Pittsburgh, PA and graduated from Moon High School in 2011.  I am so excited for my third WEPO and to meet all of you! 

I know you all just recently found where you are living and whom you’re rooming with so let the countdown begin!  By the end of next month, you will be all moved into your dorms!  Just two years ago, I was moving my stuff into 518 Pennypacker Hall.  I remember swiping into my building the first time, taking the blue elevator up five floors, and cracking open the big wooden door.  This summer, I’m sure you have all been having fun buying new things for the fall!  I know there are packing lists all over the Internet, but I know there are a few things I’m really glad I brought… or forgot.  Either way, here’s a list of a few things I would bring up this fall:

  1. Rain boots, umbrella, raincoat, and winter coat – in State College weather will change unexpectedly!  
  2. Downey wrinkle release and a lint brush – have to look your best at the career fair
  3. Storage bins
  4. Stamps and Envelops – for all those thank you cards after the career fair!
  5. Chip Clips
  6. Headphones – most of you will remember this unlike my roommate and I
  7. Anything navy and white – for PSU Football Games!
  8. Closet stackers (organizers)
  9. Clorox wipes, Febreze, and Windex – eventually you do need to clean your room
  10. Plastic shower caddy – I don’t recommend a fabric one
  11. Nail clippers, nail polish, and nail polish remover
  12. Snack/Sandwich bags – useful when you pack to go home for break
  13. Clip Lamp – definitely a must have for East Halls!
  14. HDMI Cable (if you have a tv) – for movie nights!
  15. Plastic hamper for laundry, dryer sheets – you don’t need coins only Lioncash!
  16. Checkbook, ID (Passport or SS card) – are needed if you get a job on campus or if you get an apartment for your sophomore year
  17. Mattress Pad
  18. Rug and fan
  19. Brita and water bottle
  20. Surge protector – East only has 2 outlets per person
  21. Printer and extra ink
  22. Sleeping bag – for THON Canning Trips!
I’m sure you girls are all so prepared that you already have everything on this list!  I hope you all are getting excited for Penn State because you all have a great year awaiting you!  Most importantly don’t forget you can always ask your mentor or rover if you have any questions about what to pack.  For a full list of what to bring Erin Miller, this year’s overall Lead made a list last year (see link):


Kenna Markel is a junior in Architectural Engineering and a Mentor for WEPO'13.  To read more about Kenna visit her WEPO Profile:  http://raindancer45.wix.com/ladyengineers#!kenna-markel/c23w0





No comments:

Post a Comment