Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Mastering the Dining Commons with Special Dietary Needs

Food Master Profile
Name: Madeline Iffert
Year: Junior
Dietary Needs: allergic to milk products, peanuts, and tree nuts

Before I started college I was so nervous about what I would do for food. How would I know what I could eat? Would people judge me? What if I had an allergic reaction? I did some research and as soon as I arrived to the first dining hall at Penn State I was relieved at what I found. After 4 semesters I would say that I have my food routine down and have had only a handful of very minor reactions.

Resources to help YOU become a food master:

This website explains what I’ve summarized here in more depth. Definitely check it out!

Also here is a brochure that explains eating with allergies in the dining halls and shows a sample food card!

Talk to the Registered Dietitians
You can set up a meeting with a Registered Dietician or a student assistant to talk about your allergies/intolerances/needs. They can help set up a food plan for you.

Labels
At every buffet/serve-yourself-set-up every food item has a little card indicating what the food is and any allergens it contains. It also shows if it is vegan, meatless, or healthy.

Allergies
The 5 main allergens (peanuts/tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat, fish/shellfish) are noted on each food card.

Customized Menus
The menu for each dining hall is determined WAY in advance. And by way in advance I mean they plan the whole semester within the first couple weeks of classes. You can ask the registered dieticians or manager of the dining commons for a customized menu for the dining halls that you will be eating at most. They will highlight all of the food you will be able to eat. It is helpful to see what meals will be served at each one so you can decide if it is a good option for you or not. You can also check what will be served at each dining hall here. They even list the nutrition information!

Make People Aware
When eating in the Redifer food court area, there is a lot of potential for cross contamination since everything is made to order. It is important to let the person preparing your food know that you have special dietary needs. They will change their gloves and wipe down the counter in order to prevent cross contamination. If you are unsure of one of the ingredients, you should definitely ask them what is in it. If they don’t know, they will ask their manager. I have had great experiences with the managers. (It has been the times when I didn’t have the server change their gloves or wipe down the counter at the burrito place when I have had small reactions due to cross contamination with cheese.)

Call Ahead
I met some of the cooks in the kitchen at Redifer and they are very helpful. If you don’t think there is anything on the menu for the night that you can have or you just don’t think there will be enough to fill you up, you can call ahead and give them a heads up that you will be coming. They can prepare a meal that is safe for you that is similar to the meals that are provided for the masses.

Gluten Free
There is a gluten free section in every dining hall. There is usually a microwave, toaster, and refrigerator reserved strictly for gluten-free items only. It is located separately from non-gluten-free food to prevent cross contamination.

Vegan/Vegetarian
There are always vegetarian options. Vegan is a little trickier but there are still options!

Kosher
During Passover week Waring Commons in West has a Kosher menu and designated eating area.

Side note: Rice and soy milk are available in each dining commons as well.

Other side note: One time I ate downtown and had a pretty bad reaction to my meal once I got back to my dorm. I told my RA and she walked me to UHS where they took great care of me! Everything worked out fine. So if you do have an allergic reaction, make sure you let someone know and depending on the seriousness they can either take you to the ER or to UHS. If you have an Epi-pen or other medication that you would take when you have an allergic reaction, make sure you always have it with you! Just be smart :) 

Hopefully with these resources you will be able to deal with your special dietary needs! And feel free to ask me for advice :) 

Madeline Iffert is a junior in Industrial Engineering, and she is a Mentor for WEPO '14!

No comments:

Post a Comment