Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Taking Opportunities Outside of Your Comfort Zone

           Throughout my entire high school career, I had a plan for what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I was going to go to Penn State, get a teaching degree, move back to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and become a high school math teacher at my alma mater.  It was my ultimate dream.
            Then slowly but surely, during my senior year of high school, my plan began to change. My high school calculus teacher convinced me to look into engineering, and I decided it was a profession worth pursuing. I went to Penn State, attended WEPO, and decided to major in Mechanical Engineering. By the end of my first year at college, I was completely happy with my altered plan.  I would graduate from Penn State with an engineering degree, move back to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, and get a job close to home with Westinghouse, or one of the other big engineering companies located in my area.
            At the beginning of my sophomore year, as I began looking for a summer internship, there was only one thing I was concerned about: staying close to home. I talked to every company who had offices in the Pittsburgh area with the hopes that one of them would give me an offer.  A few months later, I had gotten my wish, and had three options sitting on the table. I could spend the summer with PPG in Barberton, Ohio, with Shell Oil Company in New Orleans, Louisiana, or with Westinghouse in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
            I thought the decision would be easy. Obviously, I was going to choose Westinghouse. It was my dream job! I would only be working 30 minutes from my house, in the area where I spent my entire life growing up.  But when I looked at my choices from a career perspective, I found the offer with Shell would be a better opportunity. Sure, New Orleans was really far away, but Shell also had an office in Pittsburgh.  I decided to accept the internship with Shell, with the hope that after spending a summer with them in New Orleans, I could ask to spend the following summer at their office in Pittsburgh, if everything worked out. I reluctantly packed up my things and headed to New Orleans with the thought, “Well, it’s only three months.”
            A little over a year later, I am currently spending my second summer in New Orleans, not
because I had to, but because I chose to.  Last summer was an eye opening experience! I did so many new and exciting things I would have never done had I decided to stay in Pennsylvania. I spent two nights on an offshore oil platform, ate crawfish at a crawfish boil, and held a baby alligator on a swamp tour. The experience I was dreading simply because it was different, ended up changing my entire perspective on life. I realized that I should be taking advantage of the opportunities in front of me, even if they lead me to places I never expected to go.  I was given the opportunity to travel to China for Penn State at the end of this past semester, which was another fantastic experience (check out fellow WEPO Lead, Mimi Overbaugh’s blog for more details)!  I honestly think, that without taking that first chance, and taking the small step outside of my comfort zone to New Orleans, I may have turned down the once in a lifetime opportunity to visit Shanghai.

            My advice to you is to not be afraid to step out of your comfort zone! As an engineer at Penn State, you will be given a myriad of opportunities, and I highly suggest you take advantage of them.  Study abroad, take that internship across the country, go on a co-op during the fall or spring semester. Don’t be afraid to do the things that scare you. You’ll never know if you like something if you never try it! Take it from me: the high school girl who thought she had it all figured out.  I was probably the last person who wanted to travel the country, let alone the world! I was perfectly content on spending my entire life in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, never exploring the other things around me. However, after only a few unique and exciting experiences, my entire prospective has changed, and I could not be happier that it did.  Eventually, I think that I would like to end up back in Pittsburgh, but I have an entire lifetime to figure that out.  While I’m young, I’d like to travel, see the world, and allow my engineering career to take me wherever it may! As Ernest Hemingway once said, “It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  So, as you begin your career at Penn State, try to step out of your comfort zone, and take advantage of those opportunities which will make your journey unforgettable.  Trust me, you won’t regret it. 

Katie Ciccaglione is a senior majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and she is the Professional Development Lead for WEPO '14! 

No comments:

Post a Comment