Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Penn State Special Living Options: Pennypacker and E-House

At Penn State there are a lot of great special living options that you can get involved in.  When I was a freshman, I chose to live in Pennypacker as a part of the First Year in Science and Engineering program.  I felt like this was the best option for me because I wanted to have the “freshman experience,” while at the same time being able to focus on school and make friends who would be in my classes in the years to come.  By living in Pennypacker, I got to have the best of both worlds – I lived in East Halls where a majority of the other freshman lived, and I also got to take advantage of all that Pennypacker had to offer.  Many nights a week they offered tutoring for the core engineering and science classes, but more importantly my freshman special living option gave me the opportunity to meet other people who were in the same classes or even major as me.  I was able to make friends that I could study with or just hang out with because we lived in the same building.
For my sophomore year, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to move off campus yet, so I decided that E-House (Engineering House in West Halls) would be a good option since it is similar to Pennypacker.  Throughout freshman year, I participated in E-House social and academic activities in order to get a housing contract there for my sophomore year.  The activities ranged from watching an episode of TV to study hours.  It ended up being a great experience because I was able to meet even more people that I could study and do work with, and I lived on West campus which was close to all of my classes.
If used wisely, special living options can go a long way in helping you both socially and academically.  Looking back, I would do it all over again, and I definitely recommend that you take advantage of them.  I’m happy to answer any questions you might have, and can’t wait to see everyone at WEPO in August!

Sarah Cooperman is a junior in Civil and Environmental Engineering, and she is a Mentor for WEPO '14!

No comments:

Post a Comment