Thursday, July 14, 2016

Dropping A Class

As you go through your day, you might find yourself in that one class that is really challenging for you. This makes the class something that you dread going to or a class that you have doubts in taking. Although everyone may not face this problem, I did my first semester. For me, the class that made me want to decrease my credit load was English 015. I know you may be thinking, English? That is the class you were worried about and not some super technical class? The answer is yes.
            
I had nothing against the class, as I enjoyed the discussions that I would have with my peers. The assignments and essays, on the other hand, were detailed and required a lot of time to complete. To the best of my ability, I completed my first essay and anxiously awaited my grade. When I received it, I was devastated; never before had I received a C- on an English paper. Immediately, I went to my instructor to seek advice for the following paper. Following that, I went to her office hours to get clarity on the next assignment. To my dismay, I was still left with a less than satisfying grade on my second and third papers. It was at this time that the late drop deadline was approaching. What was I to do?
            
With thoughts of dropping the class, I went to my instructor and she told me the grades I would need to get to pass the class and left the decision to me. I knew that if I stayed in this class, there was no way that I would be able to achieve the grade that I wanted. Seeking out more advice, I went to my counselor who advised me to devise a pro/con list of dropping the class. As I made my list, I realized that the best decision for me was to drop the class.
            
I was nervous because my peers all around me were doing great in their English 015 classes and did not have the need to drop that class or any other class. I did not want them to think that I had given up or taken the easy way out by dropping a class. Despite these thoughts, I knew that doing this was good for me, no matter what my peers had to say. I knew that I was not making a hasty decision since I talked to my instructor and advisor. I proceeded to drop my class, and there was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I was proud of myself for doing what was best for me.
            
Even though dropping my class was the best decision for me, it will certainly not be the best decision for others. Therefore, here are three steps you should take before you drop a class.

1)      Ask yourself why this class is hard. Are you trying your best? Are you completing the homework? Are you spending enough time studying for quizzes/exams? What is making you have doubts about the class?
·         If you find yourself noticing that simply changing the way you study or do homework will help you, then keep trying your hardest and continue with the class!

2)      GO TO OFFICE HOURS! Talk to the instructor. Find out if there are any tutoring services that can help you.
·         I cannot stress this one enough. Your instructor wants the best for you, so please go to office hours and ask questions and voice any doubts you are having in the class. You may find that you and your instructor can come up with a plan to help you achieve your goals for the class.

3)      Meet with an advisor.
·         Talking to your advisor will really help you figure out what dropping the class means for you. You can see how it will impact you academically. You can also see what it means for your schedule, will you be behind on your classes? Or will you still be on track?

After much thought, you may decide that the class is something that you can push through and do well, or that dropping the class would be best for you. No matter what you decide to do, you will benefit from taking these three steps and you will feel comfortable knowing that you evaluated all your options before making a decision.

I hope that this helps you see that dropping a class is not the end of the world. Just put thought in your decision and do what is best for you!


Suchitha Nama is a sophomore majoring in Aerospace Engineering and is an Envoy for WEPO'16!

No comments:

Post a Comment