Thursday, July 14, 2016

Using Your Resources

During my first semester, I thought I was doing great. I took notes before class, did all my homework on time, and studied before each exam. Even though I thought I was doing everything I could to prepare for exams, my grades did not reflect it. I thought it was just because I was in my first semester, and I just needed some time to get used to the exams here at Penn State. However, this was not the case. My testing grades did not get better, and I was frustrated with my performance. I didn’t know what else to do.

My friends suggested that I go to the teacher’s office hours as well as the Learning Assistant (LA) office hours. They also suggested going to The Penn State Learning Center. I took everyone’s advice, and went to all three options. I began to see an improvement in my grades, and I became less stressed.

At first I didn’t want to get help, in fact I refused. I thought I could take care of everything on my own. But, I realized after I started going to the tutoring sessions, I was doing it on my own. I prepared questions for the LA’s and the teacher so I could get a better understanding of the material. I also explained topics to the best of my knowledge, and they corrected misunderstandings I had.

My second semester, I went to office hours right away. I realized how much they helped me in my first semester, and I didn’t want to waste any time. I encourage all of my friends who are struggling with classes to go to The Penn State Learning Center for any class. The LA office hours are great because they are run by students who have taken the class, and they know which sections of the class are tougher than others. I think it is easier to talk to the LA’s because they are students, and they understand what you’re going through. Don’t be afraid to go, I promise it will help reduce stress and improve grades!


Samantha Myers is a sophomore majoring in Mechanical Engineering and is an Envoy for WEPO ‘16!

No comments:

Post a Comment