Wednesday, July 29, 2020

All About Research

Research is something that most people know exists, but not everyone knows how to get involved with it. Whether you want to work on an honors thesis or broaden your understanding of a topic that fascinates you, research can help you achieve your goals and learn important lessons along the way.


As a freshman I knew I wanted to get involved in research to broaden my understanding of the science underlying engineering. To look for a good lab fit, I found it useful to first search through various departments (Biomedical Engineering, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Immunology, Neuroscience, etc.) and found out what topics interested me. Once I had an idea of what I was interested in, I looked up which professors were working on these topics by visiting their individual lab websites. Looking through the lab website, I was able to narrow down a list of a few professors I wanted to work with.


Next, I reached out to a few professors expressing interest in their labs and was given a few interviews to better understand where I would want to be placed. If you are interested in engaging in research, I suggest reaching out to multiple people and meeting with them to better understand what lab would be a good fit for you both technical skill wise and support wise. Something I have learned being in a lab for two years now is how important it is to have a professor that supports my interests and ideas when it comes to my project in lab.


If you are interested at all in getting involved in research, it is never too early to start. By reaching out to multiple professors early on, you will be able to have flexibility and choose which lab will be a good fit for you. Another great way to learn about research is through the University Fellowship Office, where you can get more information and see student panels talk about research at Penn State. Overall, research is a great way to compliment the courses you take by putting theory into practice. Many techniques and ways of thinking I have picked up in the lab have translated into being more prepared for problem solving in future jobs whether I decide to pursue a career in research or in industry.

Lauren Onweller
Team i Mentor

No comments:

Post a Comment