Monday, July 6, 2020

How Much Do You Really Need?

Hey amazing ladies!


College is quickly approaching----what an exciting time!  New places, new faces, new…...decorations? Storage bins?  Clothes? Shoes?  Oh my!

I remember how overwhelmed I felt in my preparations to move away from home.  I asked myself:  Can I fit everything?  What happens if I forget something?  Will my dorm room be big enough to house all of my gorgeous shoes? (PS: I love shoes!  They are just oh-so-cute and can turn any day-to-day look into a stunning look!)

What I want to tell you is this: you really don’t need that much.  This truth took me a while to digest, as I often found myself over-packing and snagging those “just-in-case” shirts to throw in the trunk.  But in all honesty, I want to present some realities to you:
  1. Dorm space is limited.
  2. You don't need those just-in-case clothes from the get-go.
  3. Laundry presents some new realities.
I'll elaborate a bit more on each of these to hopefully re-assure you in your packing!

Space Constraints


Okay, so while my dorm was able to hold all of my just-in-case clothes, it was a little tight in my closet at first.  I brought a ton of shoes: sandals, workout shoes, boots, heels, stilettos…...yep.  You don’t need that many.  An important note to make is the size of Penn State’s campus; lots of walking will be required on campus and downtown.  I recommend only packing comfortable walking shoes (plus the much-needed rain boots/snow gear).


Ask yourselfCan I wear this on a regular basis?  Will this work for long-distance walking?

Just-In-Case can go away

Not long after WEPO, I started to realize just how little I even touched some of my clothes.  I had extra pairs of jeans, fancy dress clothes, and older clothes I didn’t care for anymore---- all sitting idle in my closet.  After Christmas, I returned to campus with half of my clothes from fall…..and (*gasp*) was fine!  I was shocked by how little I could get by with!

Another beautiful truth I came across was the emergency shopping resources available to me at University Park.  Steps away from the classroom were Target, CVS, H&M, Urban Outfitters, Lion’s Pride…..all stores with must-haves (and don’t forget about Amazon)!  I knew if there was ever a special event or a networking opportunity for which I’d need a quick fix, I could find it all at my fingertips.

Ask yourselfIs this a “just-in-case” kind of outfit?  Can I find a substitute later if I really need it?


Laundry's here to stay

Yet another realization of college living: you have to do your own laundry.  Within 10-14 days, my hamper would overflow, and it’d be time to hit the basement of McKee once again.  But even with an overflowing hamper, I would still have over 75% of my drawers and hangers occupied with untouched sweaters, jeans, and tees.  That’s when I discovered I really didn’t need all that I had.


Ask yourselfHow many clothes do I need to last me 10-14 days?

What you do need....

I swear, I don't mean to crush your dreams. You can and you should bring some specific things to campus (like your favorite shoes!). Specifically, I recommend bringing the following: 
  • Rain gear (umbrella, rain jacket, boots)
  • Snow gear (boots, hats, gloves, scarves)
    Tennis shoes/workout clothes/comfy clothes for studying
  • 2 professional outfits (SPOILER: we'll be sharing more on this later)
  • Clothes for layering (i.e. camis, tees, cardigans) for when it gets chilly outside or in classrooms
  • And of course...your beloved PSU gear!

These are just a few suggestions, particularly in regards to clothes.  For a more comprehensive list of what to bring (including storage items, school supplies, bedding, and more), you can check out this spreadsheet I made for myself before WEPO 2017! 

I’m hoping you’ve found this blog helpful to you in your preparations for college.  I am excited to be a part of your orientation experience, and am thrilled to have you join our wonderful Penn State community!  If you have any questions or concerns at any point in time, do not hesitate to reach out! WE ARE!! :D


Megan Vareha
Team C Mentor

No comments:

Post a Comment