Thursday, August 14, 2014

10 Things I Wish I Knew Before the First Day of College

1.     Constant Study
College is a lot different than high school. When I had a test in high school, I would study one or two days before, take the exam, and then be done. It is said that in college, for every hour spent in the classroom, you need to spend three outside the classroom on your own. This sounds like an overwhelming number, but if the correct approach is taken, it can be very manageable. So, instead of binge studying, taking a break, then repeating the cycle, it is much easier and more useful to consistently study. By preparing little by little, your grades will reflect dependable study habits.

2.     Go to Office Hours Before Your Grade Depends on It
Go to office hours before you need to. If something in class does not make sense: Go to office hours. If you think you understand a new concept: Go to office hours. If you have a question: Go to office hours. Professors can be intimidating and it is very easy to get lazy and not go after class, but your GPA will reflect the effort and your professor will notice it as well. Do not wait until there is a poor exam grade on your report card to make this decision. Often times, while doing homework the night before it was due, I would email my professor to say I was coming in the next day because I did not understand the material. This way I could not get out of it and I had no choice but to go.

3.     You Will Learn What Activities Actually Matter to You 
When I was starting college, there were so many activities with which I wanted to get involved. I signed up for a lot then could not attend most of the meetings. Yet, the ones that I did go to turned out to be the clubs that I truly wanted to be a part of or the friends that I really did want to see. It’s better to be active in a few clubs than just a member of ten.

4.     Budget Your Money
There are various shops around State College and spending money on frivolous items is tempting. Going shopping or to dinner with friends is totally acceptable, just make sure that it does not happen too many times per week. Stay on top of the amount of money in your bank account and your last few weeks of school won’t be spent alone in the room, while everyone else is out enjoying themselves on College Ave.

5.     Don’t Be So Hard On Yourself
There will be plenty of times that you will fall down or fail. The key to this is to get up and do it right the next time the situation comes around. But then you get back up and study harder or maybe use a different method this time. Mistakes are how you learn. You try and try until you find what works for you. College is not only about learning in the classroom, but in life.

6.     Confidence is Just as Important as Studying When Taking an Exam
When a big exam comes around, it may seem like the material is impossible to understand or never-ending. Taking the time to study is definitely significant but once that is done, have confidence in yourself! You did the work, so be proud of it and showcase what you know.

7.     Some of the Best Friends You Will Make Are the Ones With Which You Study
For some reason, I kept my studies and my friends separate.  Studying with friends can actually be enjoyable and studying with others is much more productive. There is a lot of studying to do but you do not have to go it alone. Your friends are in the same situation and they would love to help you as much as you would them. Other people help put certain concepts into perspective. Also, teaching your classmates is an awesome way to learn since it solidifies the information for you! Once I started studying with friends I knew the material so much better and made some irreplaceable friends in the process.

8.     Parents are Great People to Talk To Whenever
There were many times that I would lose track of time or get caught up in everything going on at school that I would forget to talk to my parents. Other times I would dread calling my parents because I had some bad news to share. Yet, every time I took just a few minutes to catch up with what is going on at home, I felt grounded and refreshed. My parents became my cheerleaders. Whenever I felt upset, frustrated, or worried my parents calmed me down, provided necessary encouragement, and helped me see that things are not as bad as they seem.

9.     Take Advantage of Free Tutoring
LionTutors, PSU KnowHow, and similar tutoring places are great and can definitely help but do not forget to check out Penn State Learning and your professors’ office hours. These are two great sources offered by PSU that won’t hurt your wallet and could help just as much.

10.     Do Something With Your Free Time!
College can be very tiring and draining. When a small piece of free time comes around, it is really easy to lay down on your bed and watch Netflix until you fall asleep to the sweet sound of someone’s voice other than your professors’. I promise you will get more out of making plans with friends, taking a walk through the Arboretum, checking out some free activities, volunteering, etc. Really the possibilities are endless! (That being said, do not forget to relax either.)

Aleksa Susinskas is a sophomore in Civil Engineering, and she is a Rover for WEPO '14! 

No comments:

Post a Comment