Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Time Management

Hello! My name is Lauren Winkler. I am a junior in Computer Science Engineering at Penn State! This summer I have been working here in State College at the Penn State Applied Research Lab. I can’t believe I am already going into my junior year and halfway done with college! It seems like not too long ago I was a shy freshman packing up and getting ready to start my engineering education here at Penn State. I know from experience that one of the hardest things about the transition to college is time management. There are no longer a set number of hours for school or a specific time for lunch. You do not have the structure that was there throughout the past years. You must figure out how to use your time wisely. I hope to provide you with some tips on how to plan your time so that you have time to study but also make time to enjoy college and have fun too.

Keep a Schedule! Keeping a schedule helps to visualize your time commitments and also helps you not to forget any important meetings or events! Print out your class schedule. Then before the start of each week write in what you are going to do every hour! It truly helps! First add all the tests and/or quizzes. Then add meetings for clubs and activities. Then in the free time write what you should study/work on. Do you have an hour between classes? Go find a place in one of the buildings between the classes where you can finish homework! Don’t forget to schedule time to work out and eat too! It helps to know what your plan for the day is so you don’t waste time and end up with a pile of work at midnight! And you will have more time to do fun things!

There are several ways you can set up a schedule. A popular technique is using Google Calendar. This allows you to see and edit your calendar from your computer, phone, or tablet. You can also buy a planner from the office supply store.

Here is how I set up my schedule:
I choose to print out my calendar because it is easier for me to visualize my time management.
        1.       Go to elion. Click on Student Logon.

        2.       Login using your Access Account.
        3.       Click on Student Schedule.

        4.       Select the semester and go to the weekly view.

        5.       Print out 15 copies.
        6.       Take a thick black pen and write the months and days for each week in the semester.
        7.       Use colorful pens to mark the weeks with the important dates you get throughout the first week:
a.       Exams
b.      Meetings
c.       Projects
d.      Holidays

Having a schedule helps me to manage my time by showing me those blocks of time between classes that I can spend getting work done, or going to the gym instead of aimlessly waiting for time to pass. It helps me make the most of my time.
I strongly encourage you to find a time management technique that helps you stay on top of your classes and also allows you to make time to have fun!

Lauren Winkler is a junior in Computer Science Engineering, and she is a Mentor for WEPO '14! 

No comments:

Post a Comment