Thursday, August 7, 2014

How to Deal with Your Roommate

Moving away from home can be a difficult and exciting new adventure when you go to college. I couldn’t wait to get that freedom, but then I also realized that I wouldn’t be living by myself; I would have a roommate. I was the only person from my graduating class to go to Penn State, and I didn’t really know anyone that was going to be a freshman who I could live with. So, I went with a random roommate.

You have all heard crazy stories about getting a random roommate, maybe they don’t speak, or they like to have a lot of fun, or they have weird habits. But if you do a few simple things, then living with another person can work out. Who knows, maybe you will even become the best of friends!

Everyone does it, when you get your room assignment, in this modern age of technology you immediately look them up on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. I know I did it, I went on Facebook and “creeped” through all of her pictures making judgements before I even met her. The best thing to do before making any judgements is try to contact this person. Find out what her interests are, what activities she did in high school, and see if you two have anything in common.

Once you move in, just be friendly and see how everything works out. If she is shy make sure you try to open her up and spend time with her. You could maybe walk around campus or even grab some ice cream at the creamery. Like I said before, she could end up being your best friend. My roommate that I had freshman year is still my very good friend!

On the other hand, there are different kinds of people who you just don’t like or don’t get along with. There are plenty of options to deal with these situations as well. First, make sure to take advantage of any events that are happening on your floor. Sometimes the RA will get everyone together to go to dinner or do activities. This is a great way to meet the other women on the floor and if your roommate and you don’t click, you can always find someone down the hall to hang out with.

Another big thing to do if you don’t get along with your roommate is to get involved in a club or organization. Getting involved in something such as THON will allow you to meet new people of all different ages and majors.


Always remember, even if your new roommate is great, or if the situation is terrible, to just make the best of it because you will make friends. You don’t have to be with that person forever. You will find out where you fit in!

Melissa Monstrola is a junior in Chemical Engineering, and she is a Mentor for WEPO '14! 

No comments:

Post a Comment