Monday, August 4, 2014

Adventure Down Under

                Let me start with a fun fact about myself. My favorite animal is the duck- billed platypus.  I love how they are a strange mix of characteristics from other animals. They have a duck bill, chipmunk cheeks to store food, webbed feet, and they are mammals that lay eggs. Crazy right? Did you know that the only place in the world you can see a platypus (either in a zoo or in the wild) is Australia? So imagine my delight when looking at summer programs abroad during one of my very first weeks of school I found one that gave me engineering credit AND would take me to the country of my dreams.  It was a perfect combination of work and play for my summer. I traveled throughout Australia while learning about different energy sources. We visited sugar mills, uranium mines, wind farms, Biofuels plants, and a six star green building. We built a battery in class and tested the efficiency of solar panels.  The course material was interesting and will give me technical elective credits at Penn State.
                My class was made up of 32 engineering students from all over the United States and enrolled in eight different majors .We aged from 19 to 26. It was really interesting to work with students from a variety of universities, engineering majors, and ages. Because of this program I now have friends and connections all over the United States and Australia.


We studied under six different professors who all specialized in different fields of study from energy storage to wind energy. All our professors were Australian and would compare us to their Australian students as well. Apparently American students are generally better at presentations! We traveled with some of our professors which allowed us to build strong relationships with them. One came with us to Kakadu National Park. The time zone there is a half hour off from the place we had been before. He forgot to change his watch and thought that we were always protesting class when we didn't show up. He calmly came to the campfire where we were all relaxing before class and asked if he could join our strike. He wasn't mad and found us amusing. I think he was even a little disappointed when we told him we were not actually protesting class but rather relaxing before it started      
Between classes I was able to spend my time on normal tourist activities. We traveled to Byron Bay, Brisbane, Darwin, Melbourne, Sydney, and Cairns. In these places I held a koala, walked across the Sydney Harbor Bridge, hiked the Blue Mountains, white water rafted in the rain forest, and snorkeled on the Great Barrier Reef. My favorite place was Kakadu National Park which is outside of Darwin in the Northern Territory. We camped there for five days , while still surprisingly having class. The skies were so clear that you could vividly see the Milky Way. It was nice to turn off our technology and immerse ourselves in the landscape, wildlife, and culture of the Northern Territory. Our guides were Aboriginals who showed us the art of their ancestors, swimming holes safe from crocodiles, edible plants, and taught us which animals were harmless.  Most importantly, in my travels, I saw SEVEN different platypuses. They were everything I dreamed of and more.




                The moral of this story is you can advance your education while following your most unrelated to engineering dreams. There are study abroad programs all over the world. You can learn about these programs through Penn State's study abroad office, they often have information sessions during the year, or online. Where do you want to travel? Do some research. Odds are you will find something engineering related there. If not, you can always use study abroad to fill your general education credits. There are also opportunities to do research, service work, or intern abroad. The possibilities are endless!

Maxine Taylor is a sophomore in Mechanical Engineering, and she is a junior for WEPO '14! 

No comments:

Post a Comment