Monday, August 13, 2018

Summer Fun in France


On May 8th, I boarded the plane in Newark, NJ and on May 9th I took my first step in France. This marked the beginning of a once in a lifetime experience. For 2 weeks, myself and 4 Penn State peers stayed with host families in Nantes, France.
The course I took was called Engineering Design and took place at Ecole de Nantes. Here, we had 3 PSU professors rotate between days and about 5 French professors. Yes, a lot of professors but for the most part they would switch who gave what lessons and who would be available to help us on what day. This course was designed to give us both an academic and cultural experience. The academic project we were faced with was to design and prototype a passive speaker for a smart phone. During the project, we received lecture on how to evaluate acoustics, use design thinking, and give an effective presentation. In addition to this, we had a tour of an Airbus facility, took an electronic bike tour of the city, and went to a bakery and made croissants and macaroons. For lunch each day, we had the club of international students take us to lunch. They even planned a beach trip and two dinners we had together. The course was designed to give us the best academics and cultural experience.
The host families were a great aspect of the excellent trip. They provided traditional meals, took us to explore the city and on nature walks, and played games with us. While everyone naturally spoke French, they truly attempted to speak English as best they could.
 If you are going on a study abroad trip with other Penn State students, I highly encourage you to plan going early or staying later after the course with your fellow students to do some exploring. A couple months before our trip, Penn State organized a meeting so we could meet the other students going with us. My program had specifically a super small group of only 5 students, including myself. We made a GroupMe and we were all interested in spending 4 days exploring Paris. We agreed to book a hostel where we could share a private room together. Hostels in Europe are very popular. Ours looked like an extremely nice clean and secured hotel that only costed us each $45 a night.
            How did I get the chance to use this amazing opportunity offered by Penn State? I know it can be annoying and overwhelming, but read your emails when you get to PSU! You will be invited to a million events. While you can’t look into every event/opportunity, it is important you stay in the loop so you don’t miss out on some awesome opportunities that you would want to pursue. For example, in the Fall I saw at the very bottom of the “E-News” (an email chain that gets sent to every person enrolled in the College of Engineering), there was advertisements for engineering study abroad information sessions. I attended my first one having no idea what to expect. Thinking that this email gets sent to thousands and thousands of people, I imagined there would be a lot of people in attendance. I walked into a room of 4 students, and 3 administrators. It was fantastic, I received one on one attention and was able to have a conversation. I learned here that there was two main types of study abroads—the summer vs semester trips. I had only been interested in summer trips at the time because I didn’t think I could live so far from my family for a whole semester.
My next step was to see an advisor. The general engineering advisors who sit in the Hammond building are amazing. You can look them up in Starfish and see what their bios say. I saw Sarah said she’d be happy to talk about study abroads. I sat down with her and she introduced me to the three trips SEDTAPP was offering that summer---Spain, Singapore, and France. I always really wanted to go to France so I was immediately interested in its program
I urge you to reach out to me if you have any interests or questions about the program I completed. I serve as a representative and recruiter for the summer engineering abroads. You can always email me at dbk5264@psu.edu

By: Devyn Kirban (Envoy Team M)

No comments:

Post a Comment