Monday, July 1, 2019

Feed Your Creative Side!!

When I began my first year of college, I thought I’d have to give up all of my extracurricular commitments and hobbies to focus all of my energy on engineering. I planned to only join clubs relevant to my chemical engineering major, like the American Institute of Chemical Engineers and the Society of Women Engineers, and maybe a volunteer organization-- in other words, only things that would “look good on a resume”. I planned to give up theater, music, and all of the more artistic things I didn’t think would be important to an engineering major.
I was so wrong! I’ve found that having a structured creative outlet is super important to my success as an engineering student and as a person. And a lot of other women feel the same. Joining clubs entirely unrelated to your major can be a great way to add some variety to your routine and meet cool new people. So, feed your creative side, and make sure to check out all the opportunities Penn State has to express yourself!
The first non-engineering club I got involved with in college was The Penn State THESPIANS Society. They put on two large “mainstage” shows a year (one per semester), and have a variety of smaller shows happening continuously all year long. It’s a great club for anyone interested in music, theater, art, or just looking to make some cool new friends. It’s a big welcoming group; you WILL know everyone and find plenty of close friends. We call ourselves a learning club, meaning that students at all levels of experience are encouraged to join and try new things. And there are plenty of opportunities to try new things all year long!



Pictured: Me with some friends at the Penn State THESPIANS Society’s production of Cabaret


Being the theater nerd that I am, I also joined No Refund Theater. They put on 8-10 small plays every fall and spring semester, with free admission. Joining the club is super easy; just show up to watch the shows and come out to audition and/or work tech once in a while! It’s the perfect club for anyone looking for a low commitment artistic outlet. Of course, once you’re committed to a show, it becomes a lot of work, but you can choose what shows to be involved with and make sure it all works with your schedule. And, if you’ve got a busy semester, it’s totally normal not to do any shows and just watch for a while!
The options for artistic and creatively expressive extracurriculars are endless at Penn State. I focussed on two of the larger theater organizations, but if that’s not your jam, well,  there’s something for everyone! We have the Penn State Speech and Debate Society, for those looking to practice their argument and rhetoric skills; more language clubs than I can count for international communication; book clubs for general and genre-specific reading for the literature fans; instrumental groups in many styles and a variety of choir options for the musically inclined; and much, much more. 
The most important thing to remember is to do what makes you happy and is conducive to your personal success. So go to the involvement fair out on the HUB lawn and find what really interests you-- NOT just what you think will look good on a resume!

Lucia Bruschi

Team A Envoy

No comments:

Post a Comment